Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Unusual Zildjian Stamp?

Hi, I just picked up a pair of Zildjian Hi Hats that I traded for some Sabian. The stamp is probably 70's or 80's. It says Top Hi Hat in ink on one of the cymbals, but it's faded over the years and barely visible anymore. The stamp itself is missing the Made in USA / Canada. Apparently I'm the third owner and they were originally purchased in the 70's. They're very light, certainly not New Beat Hi Hats. I haven't weighed them, but I would guess 650 over 750 grams. Give or take.

I'm wondering if there is any more information as to when Zildjian did this with the stamp and what are these Hats that I have?! They sound very nice by the way.

Thanks.

Posted on 9 years ago

I just weighed them. They're actually 810 / 950 (roughly)

I was way off with my guestimate.

Posted on 9 years ago

Here is a photo of the stamp. Notice there is no Made in USA / Made in Canada.

Any idea when Zildjian stamped cymbals like this?

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

I think some of the 70's cymbals that were made in Canada had this stamp without the "Made in Canada" at the bottom of the stamp.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

From mlayton

I think some of the 70's cymbals that were made in Canada had this stamp without the "Made in Canada" at the bottom of the stamp.Mike

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I was thinking that too. I'm surprised how light they are. I usually think of 70's Avedis Zildjian as being on the heavy side by and large. Very happy with these.

Posted on 9 years ago

Documented on my site as 1972 onwards. The Made In Canada version:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#canada

and the No Country Of Origin version

http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#no-origin

Note that as I mention on my site, you can see that the No Country Of Origin version shares the "Trans stamp like" property of Turkish Cymbals being very close to the ZILDJIAN Co. So does the Made in Canada version, which may well be the same die without the country portion at the bottom (potentially a two part stamp as seen in the 1930s and 1940s). We don't know yet.

There are a number of hats from the 70s which are light, as well as some crashes and possibly some rides (although some of these might be 20" and 22" crashes lacking any ink -- the evidence isn't in yet). Zildjian made both New Beat style hats as well as "matched" hats (which simply means closer in weight).

There is lots more variation in weights in the 1970s than people give credence to when they operate from "stereotype" thinking rather than actually measuring the weights and seeing what is out there.

Of course, knowing there are some very nice light ones doesn't help you find them when sellers won't weigh them accurately. It's not really about the weights, but weights are a proxy for the sound when you don't get to audition them in person. :2Cents:

Enjoy them. And may I please add a copy of your stamp picture to my reference gallery? Thanks in advance.

Posted on 9 years ago

From zenstat

Documented on my site as 1972 onwards. The Made In Canada version:http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#canadaand the No Country Of Origin versionhttp://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#no-originNote that as I mention on my site, you can see that the No Country Of Origin version shares the "Trans stamp like" property of Turkish Cymbals being very close to the ZILDJIAN Co. So does the Made in Canada version, which may well be the same die without the country portion at the bottom (potentially a two part stamp as seen in the 1930s and 1940s). We don't know yet. There are a number of hats from the 70s which are light, as well as some crashes and possibly some rides (although some of these might be 20" and 22" crashes lacking any ink -- the evidence isn't in yet). Zildjian made both New Beat style hats as well as "matched" hats (which simply means closer in weight). There is lots more variation in weights in the 1970s than people give credence to when they operate from "stereotype" thinking rather than actually measuring the weights and seeing what is out there. Of course, knowing there are some very nice light ones doesn't help you find them when sellers won't weigh them accurately. It's not really about the weights, but weights are a proxy for the sound when you don't get to audition them in person. :2Cents:Enjoy them. And may I please add a copy of your stamp picture to my reference gallery? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the very detailed reply, Zenstats. The seller didn't mention the weights in the description, but after I had emailed him he described them as being very light. I got to try them out before I bought them. I'm very impressed with them.

Please feel free to use the image as you see fit. It's a nice clean stamp so it was easy to photograph. Also, you can see the stamp on the reverse side as the cymbals are quite thin.

Thanks, nice site by the way.

Posted on 9 years ago

From zenstat

:Enjoy them. And may I please add a copy of your stamp picture to my reference gallery? Thanks in advance.

I'll try to get you a better photo. Watch this space...

Posted on 9 years ago

While we're at it.. Can you confirm which stamp this is?

There is no ink logo. It's a 14" medium heavy bottom. It's lighter than the heavy New Beat bottom from the 60's that I sold a whiles back.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

The weights remind me of 70's Zilco hats i've played. Thin & trashy (in a nice way). I see lots of Canadian Zildjian's n' Zilco by Azco's up here, but i haven't run across this stamp with lack of made in canada. Now I have to go back to the Sabian factory!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago