Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Unidentified Cymbal!!

Hi Guys !!

This is my first ever post on this site and require your expert opinions on a 14 inch cymbal that I have recently purchased please. Judging by its weight I would say that this is a hi-hat bottom and could be a zildjian constantinople.

What do you think?

Many thanks

Billyboydrummer

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

That is in fact is a Constantinople K., and a very old one at that. It's no newer than circa 1907 and possibly as old as the late 1800's. That trademark type is what's called a "Constantinople type zero".

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks very much for your response, really appreciate it.

Is it worth anything in terms of price?

Thanks

B

Posted on 14 years ago

From billyboydrummer

Thanks very much for your response, really appreciate it.Is it worth anything in terms of price?ThanksB

Maybe $100. There's only two people in the world know how to identify that trademark. So if you were to put it up on eBay and advertise it for what it is.....nobody would probably believe you anyway.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hundred?

Seems a little low price to me for such an old cymbal, especially for K. But then, I know little about evaluating old cymbals.

Or did you mean it like since nobody will believe how old it is, it's gonna be priced as usual vintage Zildjian of this size and weight?

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 14 years ago

From Gilnar

Hundred?Seems a little low price to me for such an old cymbal, especially for K. But then, I know little about evaluating old cymbals.Or did you mean it like since nobody will believe how old it is, it's gonna be priced as usual vintage Zildjian of this size and weight?

It probably won't be even considered to be a Zildjian by prospective buters and theefore cannot be expected to bring much more than just that.

And yet, even a recognizable specimen of a 14" Constantinople K. might only be expected fetch about $150-$175, even on a good day.

There's just not that much demand for concert band cymbals perhaps except in re-adapting them for use as hi-hats. And even for this purpose they are generally too heavy for that.

Posted on 14 years ago

OK. Makes sense.

billyboydrummer, how does it sound? Maybe you could use it as an effect cymbal?

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 14 years ago

Does anybody know what the trademark writing means?

Does it say "genuine Turkish cymbals"?

Another query: the black ink writing on the underside of the bell of my old K's - is that the signature of the person who lathed it or hammered it?

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yes - it's the signature of the craftsman. l concur with drumaholic - on a GOOD day on eFlay it might fetch $125 :2Cents: my guess being it's quite heavy and therefore not very usable for anything other than a 'hat bottom or a bell effect - BUT it's a pretty darn cool find - l'd keep it[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From MastroSnare

Does anybody know what the trademark writing means?Does it say "genuine Turkish cymbals"? Another query: the black ink writing on the underside of the bell of my old K's - is that the signature of the person who lathed it or hammered it?

The trademark says "K. Zildjian & Sons".

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here