Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

UFIP HH cymbal matching question

I have a 'pair' of 14 inch UFIP HHs that are both the same weight - very thin at approximately 635grams, no black ink, just the stamp & made in italy stamp.

Do these go together or did someone slap 2 orphans together? I bought them as a 'pair' though am wondering if each should be matched up with a heavier bottom.

What do players of these (very)thin UFIPs prefer??

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

I've got a pair which are 750g and 800g. They are great as a pair, but I do find I need a lot of tilt on the bottom cymbal. Yours could well be a pair even though they are of similar weight.

I also put the 750 over an 1100g 1960s A Zildjian which gets more of a chick sound. The two with similar weight do more of a chup than a chick when you close them. Both are good sounds, just different.

Posted on 12 years ago

These are exactly 14 inches, yet the hole is 7/16 (11mm?) instead of 9/16 (14mm?). (Trying to speak in metric terms)

They have no ink stamping, just the UFIP stamp with the Made in Italy stamp right underneath it. Very fine lathing (as opposed to coarse....not 'fine' as in classy, distinguished or pretty)

Trying to determine the age of these......attached pics.

The pics are included to show the fine lathing, position of the stamp(s) and a close-up of those stamps. I only shot one cymbal as the other one is identical as far as these variables go.

Thanks for any more insight,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 12 years ago

I really don't know much about the dates for that stamp. People seem to call it the pyramid stamp. I've got a 20" ride cymbal with that stamp, which looks very similar to yours, although it doesn't have that extra hammering on it which I see on yours. Mine doesn't have the "Made in Italy" in a circle underneath but it could have been lost in the lathing. Or never there...maybe they changed to ink saying Made In Italy later on but mine has no ink (if it was ever there).

I've recently looked at a few sources of information but I think the answer is that the pyramid stamp was used for a few decades from 50s through the 60s and maybe into the 70s. If there are changes during that time I haven't run across them.

My ride has a standard 1/2" hole but again I don't have the forensic skills to know if that is as it came from the factory or if it was enlarged before I got it.

Not much help at all, really.

Posted on 12 years ago

Well Zenstat, I appreciate the effort. I have heard that the smaller holes indicate an older age. I wish some others on here would chime in, as I believe the knowledge IS here (in someone's head). I have solicited help from UFIP and have received one email response, but I am awaiting another (after more info and pics were given) as the first response (guy) was comparing these to modern UFIP models, which I know mine is not. He will too when he sees my replying email, which gave more information than before.

John

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here