Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

UFIP 86' chinese

I picked up a UFIP 86' 18" chinese recently. Very nice sounding cymbal, but I haven't seen that UFIP 86' logo before, I know its probably not really that "vintage" but still curious. Is there something special about the 86? I'm assuming its the year.

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/dolphinlee/IMG_0474.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have a lotta Italians...I have NEVER seen that logo before, either.

You could contact UFIP...they sorta like it when folks ask Q's about their old stuff. Wonder what was different about that line, particularly...

[email]ufipmail@tin.it[/email]

[email]info@ufip.com[/email]

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Cool Jaye,

Yeah, I just sent of the Q with that link you just gave. Thankyou.

There is very little "Solid Ride '86" info on the net, just a few people having had them for sale or using one in their cymbal setups.

I'm tipping its just a standard rotocast UFIP from 1986 but am thinking there might be some significance to that year?

Referring to the cymbal book, as far as events in Italian cymbal making go for 1986 all that happened was former UFIP employee Robert Spizzichino started his own company "Spizz", and Tosco closed (unfortunately) after producing the new Martelatto a Mano series that same year.

Apart from that nothing is mentioned.

I'll let the forum know what UFIP say if/when they reply.

BTW, you may be interested, I also picked up a 20" Tosco ride with that UFIP Chinese, so now I have two Toscos: the old 20" flat ride I've had for years, and the ride I just picked up- both great cymbals, I'm still getting aquainted with the new one of course!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]AAAAgh...I am an Italian cymbal freak...

Those sound nice...I have a few Toscos, too. A 20" ride which is just a bona-fide one, another which is a Tosco with the "By Sabian" stamp below it, but clearly a different stamp (I glean that it was one made in the Tosco factory before Sabian bought them, but didn't leave the factory until after Sabian bought them out).

Most interesting of all, is a 20" medium ride I picked up a few months ago on eFlay. It has the '70's b/o Ludwig logo on it...and below that it reads "by Tosco". So, apparently for a short time Tosco produced the Ludwig stock cymbals....never knew that.

let us know when UFIP responds...

the '86 definitely looks rotocast...i wonder if it is the weight, or the bell, or something of that sort which made it it's own series....?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

No word from UFIP yet, but here's some more pics of the Chinese.

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/dolphinlee/IMG_0799.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/dolphinlee/IMG_0798.jpg[/IMG]

sounds even better than it looks, btw.

Posted on 15 years ago

Old thread but no more info. UFIP's email is actually: [email]info@ufip.it[/email]

Solid Ride was a series of hand hammered cymbals. Very general purpose. The Cymbal Book compares these to K or HH, while their Ritmo line compared closer in intent of a Zildjian A or Sabian AA. That info is found in section 9.7.2 on page 165.

Page 202 indicates that they had been available since 1978, although there was mention of a Swish drummer playing them since '75. Not sure what the "86 referred to, if it was an updated version of a series simply called "Solid Ride."

I hope that adds to helping solve the mystery. Nice sounding pies.

Posted on 9 years ago

Old thread indeed! When I first glanced at the title of the post, I thought someone had found an 86 inch UFIP china.

I would like to see (and hear) that. Do you think it would break all glass objects in a two mile radius?

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here