Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Tyrko Cymbals by Sonor-anyone know about these?

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a used (obviously!) 22" Tyrko ride cymbal. The trademark is engraved, and reads: "Tyrko Sonor Made in W-Germany". The engraving has the famous Sonor "two mallets" logo before the "S" in "Sonor". See below:

[IMG]http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/vyacheslav13/?action=view¤t=untitled.jpg[/IMG]

It has the small center hole, so it's definitley older. It has a very dirty and dingy patina. I've cleaned it just with Windex and a soft cloth about three times, and it still feels a little gritty. It's very dry and dark with a tad bit of trashiness to it, kind of "Bill Stewart" vibe happening. I can post pictures if needed.

Anyone of you esteemed, well versed and highly intelligent members of this forum have any info about these?

Thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Posted on 14 years ago

It has the small center hole, so it's definitley older. It has a very dirty and dingy patina. I've cleaned it just with Windex and a soft cloth about three times, and it still feels a little gritty!

It feels gritty…

Oh so gritty…

It feels gritty and s.h.i.tty.y and g.a.y.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Drumaholic

It feels gritty…Oh so gritty…It feels gritty and s.h.i.tty.y and g.a.y.

DOHLaughing HFalling DoLaughing H

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Those were made for Sonor by Mienl if I'm not mistaken.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hilarious!

I picked it up for cheap. It had a bunch of old duct tape residue on the bottom, and after I got it all off with Goof Off, it looked like I polshed those areas on the underside. So, I tried something that I never normally do, and that's polish a cymbal! I used Wright's Copper Cream, that my wife and I use for polishing our copper-bottomed cookware.

It came out really nice. The cymbal is actually almost a silver color (who knew?). I knew that polishing it would brighten it up a bit, but Holy Lord it now sounds like a COMPLETELY different cymbal! It's much brighter (of course), but it also has more tone and is less dry (more overtones). And the tone is actually more pleasant than it was before. I like it better now.

I always knew cleaning a cymbal would change it's sound, but I had no idea to what degree!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here