Hey guys!

A while back I started this thread:

http://vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=36948

Based on your replies, I decided to buy the cymbal, but meanwhile someone else snatched it. So now I got the next best thing...aehm, sort of... not really. Anyway, I think it's kinda unusual, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Trowa (East Germany) 16.8" crash cymbal. It's made from nickelbronze, has very fine, almost undetectable lathing and very abundant (but also not very pronounced) hammering, which appears to be done by hand. I bought it quite cheap in hopes of acquiring a decent secondary crash.

It's got quite a large bell, slightly flattened at the top, possibly by some sort of past abuse and swish-like taper. It tapers evenly, but about 1" from the edge, it's suddenly almost flat - this appears to be factory done.

The sound is very simple - loud, unnerving screech. Not much of that initial crash explosion, if you know what I mean, practically immediate still tone. The bell is somewhat muffled, sounds almost like cowbell. When struck by hand, the cymbal gives a trashy, china-like sound. I think all these sound characteristics come from the unusual taper. I suppose I could mellow the sound and shorten the sustain by few rivets, but I don't want to drill this rare (if not very precious) cymbal.

It doesn't sound as good as I hoped and it looks like it has been pulled from a volcano, but hey, I got a crappy crash for few czech crowns. 's ok.

EDIT: I played it a little bit more and ok, it's not THAT bad. Actually kinda interesting jazzy crash-ride. Bright high ping and very deep and dark low roar. Gotta try some jingley chain.

Any thoughts on possible age?