Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Tosco Ride Cymbal

Hi there - I just purchased an old 20" Tosco ride (apparently from the 70's) and should receive it via courier within the next few days - I bought it for the equivalent of around $20 so I thought its worth the risk.

But I know nothing about these except that they are Italian made, maybe related to UFIP and that Elvin Jones apparently played one - are these rides any good - I suppose if Elvin Jones played one they cant be all bad? What's their main kind of "genre" - jazz? rock? Sound wise, where to they fit in - dark, bright??

Any info would greatly appreciated.

Regards

Erik

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 7 years ago

Here is my Tosco ride. Weighing in at 2150gms. Its 1970's and never been cleaned. Top condition slight keyhole but that proves the cymbal is always played and not stuck in a bag as an ornament. Also it is a classy crash. Wow Wee what a cymbal. Keep hold of it these are as good as any other make out there. I have lots of cymbals zildjian paiste sabian etc etc you name it. I even have great sounding Zyn and Ajax cymbals which are hard to find as most are junk. I use this one on every gig and im a rock drummer. Even as a nice jazz ride it ticks the boxes. These Tosco are top drawer. I love to do side by side comparisons and no body gets it right. Hahahahaha people say never heard of that one but it sounds just as good as the others. If i were you go and find some more..sean...PS you aint risked any money.

Posted on 7 years ago

Tosco: Italian but not produced at the UFiP factory. Separate Italian factory which never used rotocasting. Operated 1974-1986. Robert Zildjian was an original shareholder and the brand name passed to Sabian and was used 1982-1985 as "Tosco by Sabian" and "Sabian B20". The name was sold (post 1986) to a German company which made cheap cymbals and further confused things about the Tosco brand.

see p172 in The Cymbal Book (Pinksterboer) and p124 in Italian vintage drums and cymbals (Luca Luciano).

I don't know about Elvin Jones playing one, but it wouldn't surprise me given he sometimes used Italian drums as well. It might be part of the European back line drum supply for artists on tour. References to where you heard this might help.

Tosco produced rock and jazz cymbals. They were the originators of the Roctagon (which later was produced by Sabian).

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the info. I received my Tosco yesterday. What a cymbal! Also weighs around 2150 and is slightly smaller than a 20". It is warm and dark with a distinguished ping and dark wash. It crashes beautifully. I played it next to 2 50's Zildjian rides - it is definitely darker and a little drier I'd say. I've never played an old K but from sound clips I've heard, the Tosco may sound similar.

To round it off - with the ride I also received a pristine set of 15" Zyn Super 5 Star hats - still has remnants of price tag on inside of the hats so don't think they've ever been cleaned. They are similar to my 60's Zildjian 15" hats but slightly heavier (1000 top and 1150 bottom) so they have a bit more bite and an unbelievable slightly open sizzle.

Cheers

Posted on 7 years ago

Glad you like it. Those Italians do make nice cymbals. They are metric so the nominal 20" size is actually 50 cm, aka 19.7 inches.

I have yet to meet a Zyn Super 5 Star cymbal in person. They are a bit rare on the ground in New Zealand.

Posted on 7 years ago

From zenstat

Glad you like it. Those Italians do make nice cymbals. They are metric so the nominal 20" size is actually 50 cm, aka 19.7 inches. I have yet to meet a Zyn Super 5 Star cymbal in person. They are a bit rare on the ground in New Zealand.

Hey Zen, come and do an African Safari - South Africa, Botswana and Namibia - pop in at Durban on the east coast of SA and I will introduce you to some 5 Stars :-) :-)

I am lucky enough to own an 18" Super 5 star Zyn crash/ride as well and a 16" Super Zyn crash - the crash ride is awesome but that 16" Zyn Super crash (i believe they are from the mid-60's) is really really lovely. And I don't even use 16" crashes, but that one I do. I 'm just petrified that it cracks so I only use Regal Tip 7A's on it :-)

Here's some pics of the cymbals - if you look carefully you will note a small crack in the bell of the ride - strange place to crack, I'm not sure how you crack a bell there. Apparently the crack has been stable for years but I am still in two minds as to whether to drill it. I'm not sure. Anyway, it certainly does not impact on the sound. The rest of it is mint - there's not even a single flea bite or dent on the edge.

Posted on 7 years ago

Here's a pic of the crack in the bell.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

From seantdrums

Here is my Tosco ride. Weighing in at 2150gms. Its 1970's and never been cleaned. Top condition slight keyhole but that proves the cymbal is always played and not stuck in a bag as an ornament. Also it is a classy crash. Wow Wee what a cymbal. Keep hold of it these are as good as any other make out there. I have lots of cymbals zildjian paiste sabian etc etc you name it. I even have great sounding Zyn and Ajax cymbals which are hard to find as most are junk. I use this one on every gig and im a rock drummer. Even as a nice jazz ride it ticks the boxes. These Tosco are top drawer. I love to do side by side comparisons and no body gets it right. Hahahahaha people say never heard of that one but it sounds just as good as the others. If i were you go and find some more..sean...PS you aint risked any money.

I have a 'Tosco by Sabian Shimmering China' 18. I really love it's very unique sound. The opposite of my LOUD A Custom, it has little attack but a sweet pangy swell that is a sweet effect. Hard to describe but my AAX Ozone 18 hit with a mallet is similar but with a sweeter and longer decay. In the studio and placed right it always steals the show. Best $40 I've spent on a cymbal~!

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here