Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Tom hole recovery

Hey there,

I bought this premier early 60's continental the other day from a scrap chrome dealer for £10.

The kit is now polished up, but in my mid tom I have 2 holes, both opposite sides, in the shell, going through the wood.

They're not drilled holes, the tom looks like it's been dropped on a corner or something.

Any how, the both holes are about 1.5" radius, not wearing away any material, but just left there, looking rather horrible. I've put a couple of premier logo's over them, just to look better, but I need some method of somehow camouflaging it with a path or whatever.

All suggestions are appreciated :)

Premier early 60's continental WMP 5 peice.
Premier royal ace 60's WMP snare.
20" Paiste alpha full ride
18" Headliner crash
13" Arbiter hi hats
14" Zildjian ZHT fast crash
10" Sabian B8pro China/splash
Pearl double bass pedal
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi, and Welcome! to your new addiction. We really would need to see pix so we can help find a solution to your problem.

While you are in the "posting" mode, scroll down a bit and you will see a box titled "Attach Files", click the button, "Manage Attachments", another box will open, top button is "Choose File" search your computer the picture you want to post, click "Upload", repeat for up to 5 pix (once you are done uploading pix, you simply close that box, all files are already up so you will not delete them by closing it). If they are too large, you will get an error message. Resize the pix and try again. If you don't know how to use your computers files to resize, there are many online re-sizing services that do it for free for you and it takes only moments to get them ready to go, such as this site: http://www.picresize.com/

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Here you go, i coudl only attatch one photo, as the other hole is covered up by tape and a dum logo, but it is very similar to the other hole. :)

The white sheet on the inside of the hole is thick white tape placed there by the previous owner, and was on the outside before I took it off, to see what was there

2 attachments
18" Headliner crash
13" Arbiter hi hats
Pearl double bass pedal
Posted on 13 years ago

Looks like she was riding a motorcycle without chaps.... ouch, tailpipe???

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Ouch! I think I would give wood putty a shot. You can let It harden, then sand it down smooth. It may dry white and blend in a little but, you will at least have the shell...kind of back in shape. If you ever find a scrap piece of the matching wrap, you can try to fit it in and glue it to the putty, and it should stick. Good luck Sir.

Posted on 13 years ago

Yeah, pretty nasty damage :/ It still produces an amazing sound though...

Wood putty, never heard of it, but i'll try get hold of some :) I dont think much WMP wrap is around :P The damage has also probably put the price of it down, alot.

18" Headliner crash
13" Arbiter hi hats
Pearl double bass pedal
Posted on 13 years ago

From Prem96

Hey there,I bought this premier early 60's continental the other day from a scrap chrome dealer for £10.The kit is now polished up, but in my mid tom I have 2 holes, both opposite sides, in the shell, going through the wood.They're not drilled holes, the tom looks like it's been dropped on a corner or something.Any how, the both holes are about 1.5" radius, not wearing away any material, but just left there, looking rather horrible. I've put a couple of premier logo's over them, just to look better, but I need some method of somehow camouflaging it with a path or whatever.All suggestions are appreciated :)

Hey Prem96,,Welcome to this great forum..Now onto your drum two's i would go about it..I would try to re=pair the hole's with wood putty and re-placeing the W.M.P. finish or just re-placed the whole shell..I do have some W.M.P. off a 60's Premier bass drum so i could sell you a piece to cover your tom.I also have a 12" tom in that finish too..Wood putty you can fine at any hardwear store...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

From MIKEY777

Hey Prem96,,Welcome to this great forum..Now onto your drum two's i would go about it..I would try to re=pair the hole's with wood putty and re-placeing the W.M.P. finish or just re-placed the whole shell..I do have some W.M.P. off a 60's Premier bass drum so i could sell you a piece to cover your tom.I also have a 12" tom in that finish too..Wood putty you can fine at any hardwear store...Mikey

Yeah i'll probably try wood putty, And i might be able to save a little money and find some WHP background on the computer, laminate it and it's quite similar :)

I'm not looking to spend any money at this moment in time, saving for some quality b20 cymbals :P

Thankyou anyway :)

18" Headliner crash
13" Arbiter hi hats
Pearl double bass pedal
Posted on 13 years ago

From Prem96

Here you go, i coudl only attatch one photo, as the other hole is covered up by tape and a dum logo, but it is very similar to the other hole. :)The white sheet on the inside of the hole is thick white tape placed there by the previous owner, and was on the outside before I took it off, to see what was there

Eye Ball ouchhy!!

Posted on 13 years ago

I usually do repairs with wood but if you are going to use a putty, I would recommend pcwoody. http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/wood-repair/pc-woody.php

It is made by the same company that makes PC-7.

I have used the pcwoody to replace missing wood in other wood items and it seems like it would lend itself well to an irregular hole patch in a drum. I actually has some wood fiber in it and dries nice and hard and since it is an epoxy it holds to the wood better than plastic wood (wood putty). It's easy to sand once it is dried.

They sell it at woodcraft stores and apparently Home Depot sells it too.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here