Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

To dye or not to dye calfskin head

I have a 17 x 12 marching snare drum in Black Diamond Pearl that I have converted to a 17" bass drum. I really like the size compared to 18" or 20" bass drums. However, it has an original calfskin head that sounds great as a batter head, but is is rust stained. I would like to dye the head black to cover the stain and to match a black plastic reso head on the front. Does anyone have any experience dyeing calfskin? Would it change the tone or damage the head? What kind of dye would work best? If you don't mind, I would also like comments sent by email, because I sometimes loose track of the forum answers. I won't admit to senility, but ???

Thanks in advance.

Don Thorpe

[email]donothorpe@gmail.com[/email]

Posted on 8 years ago

All Leather dies are just a alcohol based stain and does nothing but color them like Easter egg coloring that's vinagar based though it will work too as there both a distemper. ...

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here