Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

To Clean or Not to Clean

Hi folks,

One area which I lack experience (if that's possible at 40yrs old starting drumming at about age 12) or, rather, shall I say, lack expertise, is cymbal care. There seems to be 2 opposing schools of thought out there, or at least 2 different approaches to cymbal care(or lack thereof): Either regularly clean them and try to keep them in nice new(ish) condition; or don't clean them and let the patina build up- with a change in tone as a goal. Some adhere to one school, others to the other end of the extreme, and some may employ both approaches-differing depending on the particular cymbal.

I am selling this pair of early 70s Zildjian A High-hats. They have not been used by me, (this is a flip) and the previous owner really let the patina (and dirt) build up on the tops. (See Pics).

The question is, to clean or not to clean? I have gotten significant results from soaking cymbals in Dawn+h2o, though am concerned that it would remove a significant amount of patina. Is this impossible and should I soak and clean away-where patina removal would require something other than Dawn+h2o?

Or, should I just let them be and let the next owner deal with this?

Normally this is not THAT difficult of a decision, but this dirt/patina is quite dark.....and you know how some players like their cymbals that way......

BTW - These are both on the heavy side, both around 1200 grams.

Taking suggestions - goal being getting the most $ out of these (let's be honest) while also trying to cater to the next buyer (despite not identified yet).

Thanks for any feedback.

BTW, these can be seen in my For Sale post: "Cymbals For Sale".

John

1 attachments
I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

Cymbals seem to be the one object in the universe in which there is a preposterous discourse about cleaning , or not. I believe cymbals, & all musical instruments need to be clean. ( This is apart from who should clean them , the seller or the buyer).

Posted on 12 years ago

I never clean cymbals for a sale (except for dust) This gives the new owner the choice. It's better for your sale too. By cleaning them, you've eliminated 50% of the audience $00.02

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 12 years ago

From tdennis

Cymbals seem to be the one object in the universe in which there is a preposterous discourse about cleaning , or not.

Talk to some people who curate Rembrandts or van Goghs or the like for major art museums and you will find a discourse about cleaning happens there as well. What methods to use, how much grime to take off, should you leave them alone? It's not just us cymbal crazies.

Oh, and I'm with Trout. Leave it to the buyer to choose. Less work for you too!

Posted on 12 years ago

Prized and valuable vintage cymbals can lose some of their value if cleaned. If we acquire a vintage cymbal with a heavy patina, cleaning can also affect the specific sound we fell in love with in the first place. As a result of those two reasons, many of us choose not to clean our vintage cymbals. However, '70s As, even though around 40 years old, are generally not that prized or valuable or even particularly desirable, IMHO. The market for them may prefer them clean. Clean them if you like.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 12 years ago

I ruined the best sounding cymbal ever by cleaning it. It had green slime on it and was down right dirty but sounded fanastic. But damn if I lost the sound as when I removed the years of dirt.I havent had a cymbal like that again.

58-Blue Diamond-Pearl Clubdates
65-WMP Clubdates
66-Green Sparkle Clubdates
67-Root Beer Clubdates
65-Cream tiger-stripe Pearl Presidents
60's Red Sparkle Artist LTD
60's yellow sparkle Trixon's
??'s Kingston-MIJ--3piece kit/Pearl snare
many vintage pedals,cymbals,parts,ect,ect
Posted on 12 years ago

From troutstudio

By cleaning them, you've eliminated 50% of the audience

BAM!

I've only ever cleaned one set of hats to sell, because they had green spots and stains all over them. Not very attractive. Some dirt and patina, even if it's really dark, is fine, and some people even LOOK for cymbals like that.

If it's just a flip, don't clean 'em...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 12 years ago

Art works do get cleaned, & you will never hear the argument that they were better under a layer of grunge.

Posted on 12 years ago

From tdennis

Art works do get cleaned, & you will never hear the argument that they were better under a layer of grunge.

Not a good comparison. And patina is not grunge. Art works are strictly visual, Musical instruments are, or should be in my opinion, strictly judged on their sound. How they look is secondary to the sound they emit. If making them pretty has even a slightly negative impact on the sound, then cleaning is not a good thing. And, since we're talking about vintage cymbals, many of which have collectible value beyond their more practical use, then cleaning is a real no no.

As any serious collector of antiques will tell you, cleaning them can often result in a significant reduction in value. That holds true for vintage cymbals as well. I generally pass by shiny vintage cymbals for a number of reasons, not least of which is concern over how they were cleaned. So many cymbal "cleaning" techniques, especially those used by novices, are destructive.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 12 years ago

The comparison to art works was not mine to begin with. And if this is not a good comparison , neither is "antiques". Serious collectors of instruments do have them cleaned, but they are done correctly, (not to make them look "pretty", but to make them work properly). I've seen old Grecian cymbals from the bronze age that probably should be left green, & have "collectible value beyond practical use", but I think usable cymbals should be clean. ("To clean or not to clean" seems to get confused w/ cleaning properly). I've never had a cymbal sound worse after cleaning, & have always noted an improvement.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here