Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Throwoff adapter plates

So I'm looking for a throwoff to replace a Zoomatic. I happened across the Presto Plate website, but I e-mailed the gentleman who runs the company and he said he is unfortunately no longer making them. Anybody know of another source for adapter plates? Or a good tutorial for making one? It sounds like they may not be very complicated, but on the other hand I've never even seen one, and there must be some reason people do drill into vintage drums from time to time rather than just using an adapter plate in every case.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Interesting idea, the Presto Plates...but I can see why he doesn't sell many. It is a bit of an...indelicate...solution, IMHO.

Doesn't seem hard to make one yourself.

I would start with using a scrap shell of the diameter of your snare shell. Cut it out to whatever shape necessary, finish the edges cleanly, and make it thick enough (i.e. use a scrap shell thickness sufficient) to countersink the mounting screws for the holes BOTH into the shell and for the new strainer. This way, all screws sit flush with the exposed and unexposed faces of the wood plate, so it can sit flush to the drumshell.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

This is from a much earlier post before I knew of Presto.

"Basically, it was 3/16" sheet aluminum cut to mount in the existing

holes, with corresponding holes for the new throw. Mounted with nylon

spacers, you were able to bring the tub up to date with no additional

drilling".

Ugly yes, but worked just fine...

Again, drilling is a Death Cab for collectors.

:2Cents:

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The guitar player in my band, who's more handy than I am, happened to have some leftover pickguard material from a guitar that he built, and that looks promising- flexible but quite sturdy as well. I'm going to give that a try. I'll post my results here. Thanks again!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's NOT a bad idea at all. tell us what happens ;)

Just the ultimate pickle when dealing with vintage: stay original, but have to deal with hardware which really isn't of great design or operating ability...or upgrade to something more practical/functional at the cost of impacting the vintage value of the kit.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here