Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Thoughts on Stagg Cymbals

Ever since I got an Istanbul 26" Ride, I've fallen in love with the feel of the very large ride. Seems the only boutique/independent cymbal maker that makes a 26" is Stagg. They're priced as excellent cymbals, but none of the drum shops around here carry them.

Does anyone have any experience with the brand?

Thanks very much.

Stephen

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 11 years ago

Stagg is... well... my first drums and cymbals were Stagg and my friend's first bass was Stagg and it was all horrible crap.

On the contrary, my brother-in-law's guitar is Stagg, too, and it's pretty good, considering the price. He says he hand-picked the one they didn't mess up.

So I wouldn't call Stagg stuff "excellent."

BUT

They seem to have undergone some sort of reorganization and are making a wider array of stuff. And I've heard their higher-end cymbals are pretty interesting. One fellow at an another forum used to have Stagg splash. He said it broke within first song, but sounded good after having a cut out. I'm not really sure what to make of it, but check the cymbals out at YouTube. I think that's the best you can do now. The Vintage bronze and Black metal series sound interesting - little bit cheap, but interesting.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Well, it doesn't sound like they're master cymbal makers. They want $699 for a 26" ride, and that seems an exorbitant price for something that's not a top of the line cymbal. Thanks for the heads up.

Best.

Stephen

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 11 years ago

As for Stagg cymbals not everything they make is great but just ok if your on a tight budget and looking for something cheap to start with.

As for their pro SH line and the Dh line i must say i like them and used them my self and have gotten some artis endorsment deal with stagg , The stagg SH single hammered and the DH dual hammered series are a big bang for the buck for cast bronze cymbals , as a canadian stagg cymbal dealer i'm told that it's the old president of zildjian/sabian canada from the 70's /80's that over see's the stagg cymbal operations .

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 11 years ago

Just spotted this thread... I have a 16" DH crash that was thrown in on a deal a few years ago. I kind of forgot about it and then one day for whatever reason I found it and decided to try it out. Surprise surprise... it's a darned good cymbal. I even used it on a couple of gigs. Now it's with the practice kit I use in my band's practice room.

Later I saw another one at a friend's house and commented that they are pretty good cymbals... he said "no they're not" and hit it. It was awful. Then later a local store started carrying Stagg cymbals. The drum guy said it seemed like there were some pretty good ones and some pretty bad ones. Not consistent.

I also bought a Stagg bass guitar really cheap a couple years ago because I thought it was short scale and the neck was good. Our bass player plugged it in and tried it and the darned thing sounded great. He wanted to buy it. Later I measured it and it's normal scale, just very small.

Seems like Stagg can make some good stuff... but much like Peavey there are lots of people that automatically think it's crap.

Cassidy

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here