Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

THE FATHER OF ALL A's

eBay ad for 28" A.

....and video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhmj9Upnmnw[/ame]

Posted on 15 years ago

Is there a reason why Zildjian would make a cymbal this size? Would it be orchestral? What drummer would have something that huge?

That is the craziest cymbal I have ever seen in regards to size!

Sweet

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I Love It!!!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

From Webmaster

Is there a reason why Zildjian would make a cymbal this size?

Just so they can say that they did.

These really aren't very practical players for the most part. They're more like conversation pieces.

Posted on 15 years ago

I'd read that Artie Shaw saw Avedis Zildjian talking with Buddy Rich, and he interrupted to voice his complaint that he could never really hear the ride cymbal over the big band when it was swinging, and that larger ride cymbals ought to be available.

Shortly after that is when Avedis made those 30" rides. I love the photos with one of them near little Dave Tough's legs - it makes the cymbal look even bigger.

Supposedly, those big 26," 28," and 30" rides were Avedis' response to Artie and a few other band leaders' complaints.

And yet, most worthy players stayed with 20," 22," or 24."

Go figure, huh...?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeah, I hadn't heard that story...but the oldies...they were reputed to be Big Band cymbals.

Actually, that 28" is a pretty good sounding cymbal. Playing a biggie is hit-or-miss...I have played some old A. 24's which sound great, and some which sound really like sh#t.

My Paiste Stambul is 26"....

...lemme tell you....it's NO FUN trying to transport a 26" ride cymbal ANYHWERE....Falling Do[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

:)

That's my ride!

The youtube video really doesn't do it justice. It's not so much louder as a normal ride, only when you play it near the edge. It just is a more low pitched ride, with a woody stick sound, and a fair amount of 'ping'.

The build-up (wash) is very controllable. It's a very musical cymbal. That surprised me at the time when I bought it (I had not heard it).

The video was made with just a digital photo camera that can make short video's, so the sound is awefull. Plus, it was made in a small room. I took it to the local drum shop (large room) and then you can hear the best of it. Really not as loud as the youtube video would indicate...

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It was smart of you to play a smaller ride next to it.

Really, when you come right down to it...these soundfile thingies ain't wortha whole lot (beyond telling you if the cymbal is awful).

I mean, so many differences in how it was recorded...the room...the equipment, etc...that I only use soundfiles to compare one cymbal to another.

It sounds pretty good in the video, actually.

Large Zildjians can be VERY, VERY hit and miss. I had 2 other 24's which sounded dreadful before I found my trans-stamp one.

I have seen some big Z's on eFlay...I will never forget one 24"er which weight 11 lbs !!!! That's the weight of TWO heavy 22's !!!!

Why are you selling it ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I've never played another 28", or even a 26", so I can't really compare, but I think it sounds great. Took it to the local drumshop some time ago, and that turned some heads. They too were pleased to hear that it's a musical cymbal with a controllable wash. That was a large room, and that's where this cymbal sounds at its best. In a bedroom it's too much...

I'm selling it.. for the money

I know that the sound file isn't much worth, but well, many people seem to like it. Says more than just a picture.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here