Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Stick choice and cymbal sound

Hi ya´all,

Could we share some experience, or maybe you can educate me.

Playing drums for over 30 years I am still struggling with the fact that my cymbals sound so differently depending on the stick I use. Nylon tip, wooden tip, tip shape, how on earth to find the right cymbal if switching sticks has such an impact? Should one first find the ideal stick and then find the cymbals?

Curious to learn about your experiences.

Regards,

Posted on 12 years ago

From dutchy

Hi ya´all,Could we share some experience, or maybe you can educate me.Playing drums for over 30 years I am still struggling with the fact that my cymbals sound so differently depending on the stick I use. Nylon tip, wooden tip, tip shape, how on earth to find the right cymbal if switching sticks has such an impact? Should one first find the ideal stick and then find the cymbals?Curious to learn about your experiences.Regards,

Find the right cymbals any time. Then go out and buy a pair of Vic Firth AJ-6's.

Now you're all set up. Have fun.

Posted on 12 years ago

I would agree with what you said and find your perfect stick. Everyone is different. I prefer Zildjian 7A nylon tips. My dad likes 7A wood tips. I think it just depends on who you are what kind of music you play and things of that sort. I used to use a heavy stick but now that I use these 7's I personally wouldn't ever use anything else.

I noticed that the nylon tips seem to have a brighter sound to them. I actually use only nylon for that reason. Wood tips just don't do it for me. I think sticks then cymbals.

Posted on 12 years ago

Why do you think there are blokes with collections of over 1,000 cymbals? It's 'cos there are different sounds that are achieved with different sticks. I play 5A and 5B- both give totally different sounds. I like a 5A with wooden and nylon tips, 5B with nylon tip. I also play Lightning Rods and Hot Rods. I switch sticks in a gig!!!! I carry TWO stick bags.

Your results may vary...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago

I too am a 5AN man and have used nylon tips for over 45 years I used to use regal tips but now use vic firth I just love the ping on a good ride cymbal with Nylon tips but other than riding crashing the cymbals does not matter really what stick as you are 90% of the time using the edge of the stick.. I M O

Posted on 12 years ago

Over the years, I've somewhat standardized on five different wood tip sticks ... all Oak wood. They range from the 7A to the 5A, with three Jazz type sticks in the middle. But, honestly I'm a cymbal first kinda guy. The cymbal has to feel good under most any stick before I'll consider it. You never really know what stick you'll be inspired to grab.

Cymbal = several hundred dollars

Sticks = a couple bucks

That's the real math of it.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

From Mr.Lud

I would agree with what you said and find your perfect stick. Everyone is different. I prefer Zildjian 7A nylon tips. My dad likes 7A wood tips. I think it just depends on who you are what kind of music you play and things of that sort. I used to use a heavy stick but now that I use these 7's I personally wouldn't ever use anything else. I noticed that the nylon tips seem to have a brighter sound to them. I actually use only nylon for that reason. Wood tips just don't do it for me. I think sticks then cymbals.

7a nylon tips make cymbals sound pingy and bright as you indicated. That's fine if thats the sound you want, but I don't think nylon tips do vintage cymbals justice. Many drummers into vintage cymbals seem to prefer a dark woody stick sound and a nice wash with trashy overtones underneath which does not overwhelm the stick. Drumholic's choice of VF AJ6's provide the best vintage sound of any stick I have ever heard, period. But...its a 7A body with a VERY, VERY narrow neck and a very small tip. Its great for small group acoustic music, especially when playing behind a piano or a vocalist where you can dig in without overwhelming, but it is definitely a very low volume stick. My son uses it extensively on low volume jazz gigs, especially in very live rooms.

Another good one for cymbals sound is the VF Peter Erskine Ride stick. Its similar to a 5A body with a longer narrower tip and slight difference in the neck. I think its an incredible big band stick.

Finally, my son's primary stick is the Zildjian John Riley stick. Weight wise, its between a 7A and a 5A with a teardrop tip. It sounds great on old Ks and old A's.These day's Zildjian sticks are made by VF and the quality and consistency is much improved.

Someone once asked Elvin Jones what cymbal he used on a certain cut and Elvin replied with something like i"ts not the cymbal, it's how I play it". There is a certain amout of truth to that. My son, an active working drummer, recently made slight changes to his grip and playing style which resulted in a significantly more woody, smokey sound using the same cymbals and sticks.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 12 years ago

Here is something I started doing years ago:

Take a Regal Tip nylon tip 7A and gently twist off the nylon tip using a vice-grip or a pair of pliers.

Of course, you can't attack the drums with these sticks, but for extra-light jazz playing, it has worked well for me.

Just try it.

:)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 12 years ago

After 48 years I've got it narrowed down to 7A with a wood acorn shaped tip. The sticks feel good in my hands and they sound great on the cymbals. The tip shape provides a lot of the sound articulation of the stick. Nylon is just way too harsh on brass in my ears. Wood is just perfect. You hear the cymbal, not the attack. With nylon it's all attack. Matter of personal preference. You're going to get a lot of varied responses/opinions.

Good question...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

If I may throw my 2 cents in........

So many factors effect how the stick sounds on the cymbal. Tip type (Nylon/Wood), tip shape, taper, length, virtually every part of the stick is a factor. Also, the condition of the sticks comes into play. A worn wood tip will sound much more legato and subtle than a new wooden tip of the same model.

As others have said, different woods make different cymbal sounds. I really like using maple sticks for jazz. They have a lighter and softer sound, and really change the color of a cymbal, especially if it's a thinner one.

If you want really light sounds of your cymbal, I suggest you check out Bopworks drum sticks (www.bopworks.net). They are new sticks but made to the specifications of older sticks (40's, 50's and 60's). The Birdland model is their flagship model. That stick will make your cymbals sound way different, but a very good and welcome different! Also, the Vic Firth AJ6's are good....it's impossible to get really loud on your ride with that stick. Similarly, the Pro Mark MJZ-7 is even better than the AJ6. They are identical sticks, but the MJZ-7 is made of maple, so it's even more subtle. AJ6 and MJZ-7 also have fantastic rebound off the cymbal. Those are my go to sticks when someone calls "Seven Steps To Heaven"!

When it comes to actually picking cymbals, I usually bring a variety of sticks with me with varying tapers, tip shapes, etc. You can usually get several different cymbals for the price of one!

Another thing I like to do is hit the cymbal with my hand and fingers, especially riveted models. With a hand stroke, all you hear are the rivets. If it sounds good that way (no stick to influence or distort the sound-riveted or not), I know it will sound good with any stick I choose.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here