Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Speed King Part Replacement

Hello,

A lot of the Speed Kings I have come across have a very sloppy hinge pin connection where the heelplate part of the footboard connects to the base.

Has anyone ever drilled out that pin and replaced it with a screw or something similar? I was thinking about trying that, but I wanted to know what your opinions were first.

Thanks.

Posted on 13 years ago

I`ve played the speed king only,..nothing else ever,...I have a friend and she had her speed king tigtened, I have not,...only thing noticeable is her bass drum hoop is now scratched deep and can`t be polished out. (chromed chipped)

The bottom plate attaches to the goal posts and if there is no play in the pedal,...every time you step on and off the pedal you tranfer the tension to the clamp wich is attached to the hoop. Even with the hoop rubber incerts,..you continuiously loosen the grip and the bottom of the hoop will scratch. No matter what you cusion the pedal attachment with,..it wont stay tight or the claw wont open wide enough !!

There`s no such thing as an altered origonal !!

Mine has a missing lock clip at the top of the pedal,.. is loose and my hoop is fine !! Keep it origonal and get another type !!

Just my advice !! There will be more !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Landenlarry told me how he fixed his. I believe he inserted a spacer in the worn hole and filled in the gaps with metal sodering it in place to make the hole round again. then he used a grinder to smooth it flush. It looks pretty good and no more sloppyness from the worn out holes. Maybe he can chime in here with pics

Posted on 13 years ago

I have repaired at least one speed king with sloppy hinge pin holes. Here's how I do it.

Remove the old pin leaving the ugly worn holes exposed. In most cases the hole is no longer round, typically worn oblong in shape.

Find or buy a short piece of 1\4 copper pipe, comes in a coil typically. I insert the copper pipe into the worn hole and weld the rest of the hole up with a mig welder. The copper pipe acts like a form and will hold the weld to a nice round 1\4 inch shape. After the brief welding, you might have to file the hole a touch to ensure it is perfecting round and will fit a new 1\4 inch pin. You can buy 1\4 inch steel rod at most home hardware stores to make a new pin. Cut the rod a little longer than the the length of the old hinge pin.

Next you will have to cut a groove into the end of your new pin to accomodate a small snap ring or C clip. I cut the groove by chucking the rod into my electric drill. Have someone spin the rod in the drill at a reasonably high speed and use a hacksaw blade to cut a groove in the pin. When your new snap ring or C-clip will fit nicely into the groove and won't fall off, you're done. Here's a pic of a pedal I did and the rod and the copper pipe.

Posted on 13 years ago

From bhawk

I have repaired at least one speed king with sloppy hinge pin holes. Here's how I do it.Remove the old pin leaving the ugly worn holes exposed. In most cases the hole is no longer round, typically worn oblong in shape.Find or buy a short piece of 14 copper pipe, comes in a coil typically. I insert the copper pipe into the worn hole and weld the rest of the hole up with a mig welder. The copper pipe acts like a form and will hold the weld to a nice round 14 inch shape. After the brief welding, you might have to file the hole a touch to ensure it is perfecting round and will fit a new 14 inch pin. You can buy 14 inch steel rod at most home hardware stores to make a new pin. Cut the rod a little longer than the the length of the old hinge pin. Next you will have to cut a groove into the end of your new pin to accomodate a small snap ring or C clip. I cut the groove by chucking the rod into my electric drill. Have someone spin the rod in the drill at a reasonably high speed and use a hacksaw blade to cut a groove in the pin. When your new snap ring or C-clip will fit nicely into the groove and won't fall off, you're done. Here's a pic of a pedal I did and the rod and the copper pipe.

That's a great idea....seems much better looking to me than that other repair that is done by the "speed king rebuilders" or whatever their name is....someone else posted a link here before.....

Of course the ultimate way to avoid having to even do this repair is......REGULAR LUBRICATION! Mind Blowi :D

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here