Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Some expert help on cymbal ID please

Hi there - about a year ago, I purchased a Ludwig Vistalite kit with some cymbals. I restored the kit and I am loving it.

When I bought it, rumour had it that it belonged to one of our (South African) biggest bands at the time (in South African terms) - Rabbitt (Duncan Faure, Trevor Rabin)- who were huge in the 70's. I have checked some of their clips out on youtube and there are indeed blue vista's being used. However, I could never confirm it for sure. I tried to email their drummer, Neil Cloud, who now runs a furniture company in Johannesburg, but no reply.

Anyway, I discovered this photo of him playing his kit in the 70's and although I cannot see whether the drums are Vista's the cymbals are very visible.

The cymbals that came with the kit were 15" pre-serial light Zildjian hats, a 20" pre-serial paiste 602 crash, a 18" paiste stambul 65 crash/ ride, a 20" a zildjian ride and a (nearly)16" Super Zyn crash.

No doubt those were pro-level cymbals in the 70s - now: if you look at the attached pic, does it look as it (left - right) the cymbals on the kit resembles the ones that I listed above. To me it looks as if it may very well. The hats certainly looks 15", the crash to his right does seem to be a 20", the "low" ride seems to be smaller than the one next to it (maybe an 18??), the next cymbal looks like a 20" again and then the crash on the far right may well be a 16".

What do you guys think?

Regards

Erik

1 attachments
Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 9 years ago

From what I can see, the drummer appears fit and trim.

Also when an approaching car has his turn signal on, all it means is the turn signal works......:)

Kevin
Posted on 9 years ago

he does indeedYes Sir

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 9 years ago

well, the cymbal to his right might be a Zildjian and the one nearest to his left Stambul 65... but it may as well be wishful thinking.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here