Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Sock Cymbal?

My drum teacher used to call the hi-hat "the sock" he would say "go to the sock" indicating to switch from ride to hi-hat. I never asked him why he called it that but recently heard an interview with some jazz guys and one of them said sock cymbal referring to the hi-hat.

Anyone know why they called it that? Did Ludwig make the first Hi-hats too? Was it something to do with playing in your socks?

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1970 Rogers Power Tone Kit
1970's Ludwig Vistalite Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
28 assorted snares (including some real crap)
and 1 really nice K Zildjian Istanbul
Posted on 11 years ago

I also remember it being called the "sock" back in the 50s - 60s...but, I don't know why either.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 11 years ago

The term came into vogue during the lowboy stand era .

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

I thought it was because they were at sock height when first invented.

Posted on 11 years ago

I too have heard hi-hats referred to as "sock" cymbals. It was a term used in a much earlier time and generally reminds me of the early swing era. It would be interesting to note the etymology of that term, however, I actually wonder the same for the term "hi-hat" or "top-hat."

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

From mcdrummer

My drum teacher used to call the hi-hat "the sock" he would say "go to the sock" indicating to switch from ride to hi-hat. I never asked him why he called it that but recently heard an interview with some jazz guys and one of them said sock cymbal referring to the hi-hat.Anyone know why they called it that? Did Ludwig make the first Hi-hats too? Was it something to do with playing in your socks?

These are two examples of early sock cymbals. They predate the modern high hat and served a similar function, but of course could not easily be used with sticks. I think the name really derived from the fact they were located at the height of one's socks. I believe that first "modern" hi hat stands were developed in the late '20s. Of course they have continued to develop during the 80+ years since then, but I think the improvements in the last 35-40 years or so have been fairly modest. As a young player in the late '50s and early '60s the terms sock and hi hat were used interchangeably by almost everyone. To this day I still use both terms, and my son Dan, who at 24 is a professional jazz player and show drummer, occasionally refers to high hat cymbals as sock cymbals.

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7378/9085203745_6bd774238e.jpg[/img]

6781333267_fd138deb9f_z by mwsilver, on Flickr

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/9087421772_d541fe02a3.jpg[/img]

Ludwig_Low_Boy-600x400 by mwsilver, on Flickr

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago

Now that I've been asking around I've gotten two additional explanations. One is that the "low-boy" type cymbal, the one that looks like a dwarf hi-hat would sometimes clamp down on the drummers sock at the ankle, pinching it, and thus the nickname of the sock cymbal.

The second explanation is that the pedal shown which has two shoe shaped pieces of wood and a spring which claps together the attached cymbals originally had a strap which the foot would slip into. This required the drummer to take off one shoe to fit the foot into the strap.

Ok so that's all I got so far!

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1970 Rogers Power Tone Kit
1970's Ludwig Vistalite Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
28 assorted snares (including some real crap)
and 1 really nice K Zildjian Istanbul
Posted on 11 years ago

I haven't heard that in a long time. Also in a lot of countries the hi-hat is referred to as a "charleston" or "charlie" for short.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 11 years ago