Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

slingerland radio king shell separation from reinforcing hoop

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and have a question about whether or not I should do anything about the shell separation from the reinforcing hoop on a late 50's single ply maple shell with maple reinforcing hoops? Will I destroy the value of the drum if I glue and clamp it? The shell, wrap, and hardware are in otherwise amazing original condition, but they came from a really dry climate, and so the wood is very dry. Also on the toms, which have the 3 ply shells, there is some cracking in the poplar layer, as well as some ply separation, and even a little wood loss on the bottom bearing edge of the rack tom in the poplar layer. The drums sound great anyways. Should I use wood filler where the wood is missing? Tung oil on the shell interiors?

I need some professional advice, because I want to play these, and not damage them further or diminish their value. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on 16 years ago

I too have a 50's Radio King with the same issues. I carefully put a little glue in between the separations and used pieces of an old drum cut up to keep the radius of the drum and clamped the two pieces with the drum in the middle. If you do a little bit at a time, it will not mess too much with the shape of the drum. I used small hypodermic needles to insert the glue. I'm sure others will have more helpful comments. The two pieces of wood were old Japanese drums, but I felt more comfortable using curved pieces instead of straight.

Good Luck

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

thanks backbeatkeeper. What glue did you use? It looks like regular yellow wood glue was used originally (there are some drips in the shell interior, guess they weren't too careful back then!) but I am not sure if I can get that through a syringe.

Posted on 16 years ago

I used Elmer's wood glue, and if you use a syringe small enough to fit, but large enough to push the glue through, it will work. I won't kid you, it's tough to push it out, you can use a needle and dip it then kind of push it in the cracks, but I preferred to use the syringe and get the glue "down deep". Wood glue is water washable, so you can wipe it up before it hardens.

Gary

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the info. What would you do about the areas where there is actually missing wood, where pieces of the layer of ply fell out?

Brian

Posted on 16 years ago

I would use a quality 2 part wood filler. I can't think of the name of the stuff I used, but it is 2 parts (one part is the hardener) and I had very good luck. If I can dig it out, I'll get you the name

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks a bunch!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here