Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Slingerland Lugs- Orignal or Repro?

Since I have begun to go off the deep end with vintage drum madness, I picked up a trio of Slingerland Concert Tom shells off of the bay', for the 70's kit I always wanted to have. Basically got inspired off of an article in a 1990's issue of Modern Drummer about Luther Rix, who was the drummer in the Broadway production of "Tommy", and he was using a Tangerine Satin Flame concert tom Slingerland set, and for some reason I always thought it sounded cool and wanted to replicate that set.

My question for you guys, is how do the repro lugs compare to the originals? They seem to be around the same price, but the thought of just purchasing brand new shiny ones with one click from the various suppliers is a tempting idea, but I do not want to spend $3-$4 a lug for something that is quite inferior to the originals.

Any opinions?

Posted on 15 years ago

I like original stuff because it's original and I will look hi and low for original parts but I don't think the originals were anything that special from a manufacturing standpoint. In fact, some of the old old stuff was just crappy cast pot metal that's really hard to work with now.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

I have been feeling the same way. I thought about getting one repro lug and doing a comparison.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]What sizes were the tri-toms ? I have done that a few times...gotten a few sets of 14/16/18's. They made great small kits...I used the 18's and 16's as bass drums (despite the 10" depth, they make nice bass drums...really, they do !), the 14's as the low toms, and then I added a 12" orphan Slingy re-wrapped to match the rest as the rack tom.

...here's the shells upon completion, the last one's I did were original WMP in decent shape, the 12" was rewrapped in the antique/aged WMP from precisiondrum.com. 2 bass drums, the 16 in the foreground.

The repro lugs are really NOT such heavy duty lugs...they are OK, I mean...as far as hole specification and appearnace, they really DO look like the originals and fit the factory holes perfectly, but they aren't anywhere near as beefy and substantial.

Also, given that they cost about as much as originals off of eFlay, I tend to go with originals even if they are scuffed up a bit in comparison.[/COLOR]

1 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

WOW! Those little kicks are totally cool. Nice work!!!Keep on PlClapping Happy2

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

Are those metal hoops on the bass drums?

Posted on 15 years ago

The concert toms are "normal" sizes of 8x12, 9x13 and 10x14. I plan on matching them up with a 14x22 and a 16x16, most likely both double headed- did slingerland make a 16x16 single head tom or was the 14x16 the only single headed floor tom?

The shells have a very faded wrap, and are 5 ply late 70's models with the metal ring on the bottom. I plan on wrapping them in some sort of Satin Flame, luckily I live in NYC so I can visit Canal Plastic in person. Leaning towards an orange, but may go with red.

Now I just have to be patient and wait for the set-o-matic plates to pop up on EBAY for a reasonable price.

Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye, I should have qualified my comment...I was talking about 30's 40's lugs.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Lucky...I think they were powder-coated metal on both, yes.

GD, so the pre-Soundking style ones (the beavertails and such) ? Yes, a lot of those original ones don't show up in very good condition....

El...sorry, I misunderstood...you did write concert toms...I thought you meant marching toms...anyway, sounds like a good plan. Be careful with the adhesive you use for the satin flame, the regularly available stuff (3M and DAP) doesn't take to it very well....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From my understanding, plain Elmer's white glue is the preferred adhesive- is that correct? I remember from an old Precision sample packet I got in the 90's, that Elmer's white glue was what they spec'ed to be used with Satin Flame.

Jaye, you seem pretty knowledgeable- have you seen an original Tangerine Satin Flame kit? I am trying to figure out if the orange/red material or the straight orange replicates it closely. I have been unable to locate a picture of a drum covered in original Tangerine Flame, just the small swatch on this site which does little in the way of letting one see the finish.

I dropped $40 on a set of 12 original Slingerland lugs on the bay, including shipping. Now I just have to wait for set-o-matic mounts and proper rims to pop up. After that I need to locate a 5 ply bass and floor tom.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here