Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Slingerland hi hat stand Q's.............

Hi everyone~! I'm working on the stands I got from Drumhack. Snare and hi hat are done and have 2 cymbal stands to go. Everything is looking great so far. So while I had the slingerland hi hat stand apart to clean, polish, grease and oil it raised a few adjustment questions.

First what exactly does the adjustment knob do? It seems to be tension related to the spring on the bottom half of the pedal shaft. There is also 2 set screws with locknuts, 1 on each side of the frame casting. Are these supposed to remain a little loose so the adjustment knob can be turned on the fly? Or are you supposed to lock them in when you get the adjustment you like? The knob threads into a white plastic insert the bottom half of the pedal shaft goes through. The adjustment knob threads this plastic insert up and down to increase/decrease the spring pressure I'd think.

If anyone has details they can share that would be cool thanks.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

If you turn that sucker all the way one way and try her out.... then turn it back all the way the other way, and try her out, and can tell me what difference there is, I'll buy you a five-dollar doughnut.

I haven't figured it out on any of the three I have owned/own.....

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

From kevins

If you turn that sucker all the way one way and try her out.... then turn it back all the way the other way, and try her out, and can tell me what difference there is, I'll buy you a five-dollar doughnut.I haven't figured it out on any of the three I have owned/own.....

LOL! I tried mine and holding it upside down, turned it clockwise all the way til it stopped. It seems to put a little more tension on the inside spring . I didn't take it apart to see. I then tried turning it counter clockwise all the way but it never ends. After so much I guess all the spring tension was released which wasn't to much different IMO. :D

Posted on 12 years ago

Well I'm chasing the "5 dollar doughnut".. never had one..

It's a "torque" tension adjustment device..

Gets everyone "torqueing"

Sorry...Back to the scotch..

Cheers

Toilet

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 12 years ago

LOL well thanks everyone. I kinda thought it might be like that but wanted to ask incase I was missing something adjustment wise. I haven't seen much of a difference either. I have 2 of these and while both work excellent neither one has much adjustment. There's about a inch of adjustment on the whtie threaded part. This nets about .250" of spring compression looking at the shaft going in/out.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

IKR....

It's not enough to convince my big dumazzz foot that anything is different.

A darn good stand, built well, looks good, and not a huge footprint......

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

I agree.... I can't tell any difference either. I wasn't sure if there were factory settings or specs I was missing. So good to know it's fine as is. Thanks again everyone for the info.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

From FFR428

Hi everyone~! I'm working on the stands I got from Drumhack. Snare and hi hat are done and have 2 cymbal stands to go. Everything is looking great so far. So while I had the slingerland hi hat stand apart to clean, polish, grease and oil it raised a few adjustment questions. First what exactly does the adjustment knob do? It seems to be tension related to the spring on the bottom half of the pedal shaft. There is also 2 set screws with locknuts, 1 on each side of the frame casting. Are these supposed to remain a little loose so the adjustment knob can be turned on the fly? Or are you supposed to lock them in when you get the adjustment you like? The knob threads into a white plastic insert the bottom half of the pedal shaft goes through. The adjustment knob threads this plastic insert up and down to increase/decrease the spring pressure I'd think. If anyone has details they can share that would be cool thanks.

The knob does put tension on the inside spring.The spring fits over the knob on the inside of the stand.With the stand on the ground turn the knob to to the right to make the spring tighter,turn it to the left make the spring looser...The spring goes bad all the time you have to replace the spring to make it work right...But the again if you like how the stand feel's i would leave it....Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Mikey thanks for the info. On the stand I have had apart there's no spring that goes over the knob. Just a white plastic piece that threads into it. And a tension spring further up on the pedal shaft. I may be missing a part or something here. If I have time later I'll break it down later and post some pics.

Thanks!

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

I did a search on this one time...I was told that the crimp that holds the washer pushing against the spring

sometimes fails from wear. So I checked mine out, and indeed that is what happened. After I fixed that, the tension control worked perfectly.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here