Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Signatures on K Istanbuls

Hey guys! So,... I bought a 14" K Istanbul cymbal a year ago, at a great price. And in order to get a nice hihat (cause it sounded awful as crash) i bought another one a few weeks ago. Unfortunately that one has a crack at the bell, but, seems quite stable, because it's pretty heavy (1000g +)

Both cymbals have the New Stamp. A few days ago i looked at the signatures, which are different in size, and it looks like it's still the same guy who signed them....

So, did i make a lucky punch now having a "really matched" hihat, if the word matched makes sense here?!

does the crack in the bottom cymbal's bell make a huge difference on value? it still sounds fab?!

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

I wouldn't depend on the signature in matching. As far as I know, there could be hundreds of Ks with the same signature. If you like how they sound, there's no problem w/ that, tho, and it looks like you DID get a matching pair after all.

I'm afraid the crack does reduce the value quite a bit, but again, if you like the sound, I don't see a problem (just make sure the crack really doesn't spread!).

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, I know this is not THE PERFECT PAIR, but the fact, that the signatures do really match, and that the two cymbals sound very good together gives me the good feeling :)

i know i have to keep watching the crack. I was thinking about drilling to that, but i thought that would decrease the value even more, hence i will probably leave it as it is,....

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here