Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

Show off your RIDE Cymbals!

So, I got a ride cymbal in....wanted to shoot a demo, but then thought I should shoot it along with some other cymbals for comparison. THEN, I got the idea - why not set up ALL my rides and demo all of them in one video. Maybe I could start a thread and we could get a bunch of RIDE DEMOs in that one thread!

Now, in the next couple weeks, I might re-shoot this video, as I have a nice big 22 incher arriving next week. ALSO, I think I will try to hook up an external mic and try to achieve a better sound quality. Mine is distorting a little, though many properties of any given cymbal are being captured quite well.

NOTE: Notice that I have listed the TIMES in the description of the video. You can use these as direct links to that cymbal.

The cymbal in question (the initial reason for the video) was the ODD DUCK - the "MAC" as I call it - the Meinl Ambico Camber, which is Nickel Silver.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWQb_U_ycrs"]9 RIDE Cymbals Demo - YouTube[/ame]

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

So, I got a ride cymbal in....wanted to shoot a demo, but then thought I should shoot it along with some other cymbals for comparison. THEN, I got the idea - why not set up ALL my rides and demo all of them in one video. Maybe I could start a thread and we could get a bunch of RIDE DEMOs in that one thread!Now, in the next couple weeks, I might re-shoot this video, as I have a nice big 22 incher arriving next week. ALSO, I think I will try to hook up an external mic and try to achieve a better sound quality. Mine is distorting a little, though many properties of any given cymbal are being captured quite well. NOTE: Notice that I have listed the TIMES in the description of the video. You can use these as direct links to that cymbal.The cymbal in question (the initial reason for the video) was the ODD DUCK - the "MAC" as I call it - the Meinl Ambico Camber, which is Nickel Silver. 9 RIDE Cymbals Demo - YouTube

Unfortunately the micing and probably the acoustics of the space you recorded them in is letting you down and is not really giving an accurate picture of what your cymbals sound like. As a result, all of them sounded harsh and uber bright to my ears. I assume they would have sounded much better under other circumstances.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 10 years ago

Yes, certainly it is not optimal. I will shoot the video over, though I do not have any condenser mics. All I have is a SM58 and not sure my adapter is mono or stereo. Time for some testing.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 10 years ago

I'm wondering if the camera mic could pick up a better sound if recorded outside? You'd be getting rid of all the room reflections that way.

Steve

1967 Slingerland 12,13,16,20 White Satin Flame
1968 Slingerland 12,14,16,20 Light Blue Pearl
Posted on 10 years ago

Hi Steve -

That basement ("room") does not strike me as being very 'active' and I believe a bigger problem is the over-sensitivity of the mic. You know how these built-in mics work. They have auto/self adjusting sensitivity as the distortion varies throughout.

Before I go to the extent of shooting outside, I am going to try out a couple SM58s overhead. Not the best mic for the job, but certainly should do just fine and its sensitivity will be at a constant. I will be running through a board, then out a phone jack into an external mic input on my digital Samsung camera.

On another note - I am a bit bummed that nobody else has shared their video.....it could be a very fun thread yielding alot of discussion, and perhaps even a deal or two.

Posted on 10 years ago

its always about acoustics but some pies sound like that,,,

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 10 years ago

I can share that my cymbals seem to always sound brighter and washier through that camera (and its built-in mic) than in person.

Generally speaking - sure beats a cell phone - especially when I record my full set (quality of the mix picking up all parts of the kit, including the kick). I have some mics and a board, and just bought a cable - and soon will be able to mic it all up and try to run it through my non-powered board - then run into my camera. I have no multi-track interface for recording onto my computer - but getting the mix beforehand will be better than just one mic. And wouldn't you know it - the channels on the board only have 2 EQ knobs per channel - but you can't beat the price (free).

Posted on 10 years ago

Check this one out - perhaps this turned out better? I like the crickets!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiTfp3u9QCU&list=UUMMbAkSFB726IGPftMKLppg"]YouTube[/ame]

Posted on 10 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

Check this one out - perhaps this turned out better? I like the crickets!YouTube

The video is marked private when I click on it.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 10 years ago

Try it now.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here