Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Sad Day

what in the world!! I have a 1977 Paiste 2oo2, classic black label. I have had it in the cymbal bag for about 3 months (got a beautiful flat ride and was playing it for a while). to my shock and horror I took out my prized 2oo2 to see these spots!! what in the world is this? fixable? no water was spilled on it. thanks for any help and advice.

[IMG]http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/7717/img2502z.jpg[/IMG]

Josh Westbrook
"dont be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
Posted on 12 years ago

From joshranwest

what in the world!! I have a 1977 Paiste 2oo2, classic black label. I have had it in the cymbal bag for about 3 months (got a beautiful flat ride and was playing it for a while). to my shock and horror I took out my prized 2oo2 to see these spots!! what in the world is this? fixable? no water was spilled on it. thanks for any help and advice. [IMG]http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/7717/img2502z.jpg[/IMG]

Those don't look like oxidation spots to me----due to the orange tinge around the circumference. Is it possible that there was some organic matter of some kind got on the cymbal and then humidity in the bag promoted a growth of some mould culture? Should cause no longstanding effect and be cleanable.

Posted on 12 years ago

I don't have a lot of exp living with B-8 cymbals,but I have a few similar green spots on my B-20 cymbals,and I don't drink or eat behind a kit,I think it is oxidation from sweat on my cymbals.

Maybe paiste B-8 oxidize orange like that.

I am sure someone who knows more than I will have better answer.

I don't know how to get rid of the oxidation if that is what it is

Posted on 12 years ago

Paiste cymbals have a "special protective solution " to protect from oxidation. I don't know exactly when they started doing this, or what the finish material is, but you might want to look into this before doing anything that enlarges the spots. (looks like your cymbal may have Pina Colada syndrome).

Posted on 12 years ago

I wouldn't be too worried. Paiste sell cymbal cleaner and another product to replace the protective coating if it has worn off. I've used their cymbal cleaner but not the blue Protector.

http://www.paiste.com/e/prod_accessories.php?menuid=69

Posted on 12 years ago

thank you all for the fantastic replies. i guess a cleaning is in order for this one. i do have the orange bottle paiste cleaner, but was avoiding cleaning this one. i will post pics when its done. cross your fingers!

this is so worrysome to me cause i take great care of my cymbals, even wiping them down after every gig, etc.

pina colada syndrome? lol

Josh Westbrook
"dont be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
Posted on 12 years ago

Something got in your bag, man.......

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Looks like Bass player aftershave.. to me.. look for another bass player..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 12 years ago