Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

?'s about Ludwig "Jazz Festival" and "Classic" snare drums

Members,

I'm a new member trying to get some info about vintage Ludwig snare drums. I currently only own older (80's models) Tama snare drums. I'm looking to purchase a 60's model (Jazz Festival or Classic) ludwig snare. Having never owned or played either of these models, I'd would like to know if there is anyone that can answer these initial questions I have regarding these drums.

I will probably have more questions if any members are kind enough to contribute to this thread.

1) What type of shells are the Classics made from ? Type of wood and # of plies ?

2) Did ludwig use the same 3 ply shell for the Pioneer model that was used for the Jazz Festival model ?

3) What if any differences are there between the Ludwig (WFL) Classic and the Ludwig "Buddy Rich" Classic ?

4) Do any of these models have extended snare wires - wires that extend all the way past the bearing edge of the drum.

5) Can anyone point me to a site that has detailed pictures of these drums - tops, bottom, and side views ?

Thanks, Montravibman.

Posted on 17 years ago

Answer #1.) 3-ply mahogany/poplar/maple with solid maple reinforcement rings -painted white (unless a very early 60's model in which case is usually mahogany on the interior ply...late 60's the inner-ply is maple)

Answer #2.) Yes

Answer #3.) For one thing, "Buddy Rich" models were white marine pearl. WFL Classics could apply to any William F. Ludwig brand drums with any number of finishes. The Classic snare drum I'm thinking of has the old "Classic" strainer/throwoff -not sure about the Buddy Rich model. Someone else may chime in on this one. I'm just giving you my best guess.

Answer #4.) I don't know for sure. I can't remember how the Classic throwoff works. It might have extended snare wires. Actually...I think it does.

Answer #5.) Check the Drum Gallery section of this website. here...scroll about halfway down to see two "Buddy Rich" models of differing styles...http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/ludwig_snare_page.html

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here