Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

rivets

Hi - I know in my recent perusings of this board or a link I found a great set of posts about putting rivets in cymbals. I'm currently playing an older Pearl set where the big ride cymbal has these and I really like the sound. I'm upgrading my Slingerland/Ludwig kit and it has an 18" Meinl ride cymbal. My brief research says it's not a terribly valuable cymbal so I'd like to put the rivets in - but - I can't seem to locate those posts. Can somebody give me a hint on where to look for the instructions on how to do this? thanks

Posted on 13 years ago

From JakesII

Hi - I know in my recent perusings of this board or a link I found a great set of posts about putting rivets in cymbals. I'm currently playing an older Pearl set where the big ride cymbal has these and I really like the sound. I'm upgrading my Slingerland/Ludwig kit and it has an 18" Meinl ride cymbal. My brief research says it's not a terribly valuable cymbal so I'd like to put the rivets in - but - I can't seem to locate those posts. Can somebody give me a hint on where to look for the instructions on how to do this? thanks

Here's the thread : http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=17507&highlight=Rivits

Rivited cymbals traditionally was most used in small jazz combos to give the cymbals additional sustain, especially when using brushes. Not sure how much you'd gain using them for country music.

If you want to drill the holes yourself, support the cymbal and put a wood block under the cymbal at the location of the hole you're drilling. Drill at low speeds and use machine oil to keep the hole lubricated and cool while drilling. The few times I've done it, I always start drilling on the bottom side of the cymbals

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

Mark - thanks, again. I got digging around last night and found that sight - gave basically the same instructions you did. One suggested using a hand drill instead of electric, but most used electric. I like how the rivets fill the sound on lead breaks so I'm going to add 3 or 4 to my Meinl this weekend.

Jake

Posted on 13 years ago

A bad sounding cymbal without rivets = a bad sounding cymbal with rivets.

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

From blairndrums

A bad sounding cymbal without rivets = a bad sounding cymbal with rivets.

Absolutely correct!

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

probably true - FWIW, I'm not doing this b/c I think my cymbal sounds bad, but b/c I liked the sustain from playing on another kit where the ride has rivets.

Posted on 13 years ago

From JakesII

probably true - FWIW, I'm not doing this b/c I think my cymbal sounds bad, but b/c I liked the sustain from playing on another kit where the ride has rivets.

I don't think Blairndrums was necessarily implying, nor was i assuming, that your Meinl sounds bad. However, historically, many have tried to fix bad sounding cymbals by adding rivits, as if the added sustain will somehow mask the cymbals shortcomings. It doesn't.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

makes sense. I got my kit back together last night & hung a light chain in the Meinl - gave a nice sound, too. Will compare that with the other ride I'm playing with rivets.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here