Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Rivets on Paiste HH Cymbal?

My buddy brought me over an old Super Paiste Hi Hat cymbal he'd purchased in an antique shop (stamped Super, Switzerland, star and crescent moon). He really had no use for it but, knew I was into vintage drums. It's fourteen inches and has 13 rivets. They're split rivets, all the same with identical patina. All equal distance from the rim...about 2 1/8 inches. The trouble I'm having is that two of the rivets are closer together than the others. The difference is noticeable. Could this possibly be a factory cymbal or did someone perhaps install the rivets without careful measuring? I tried it out and it really doesn't sound too bad. Maybe a bit trashy but, cool for certain songs. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for looking everyone! There's gotta be someone out there with a valid opinion though. I'm sure no authority on vintage cymbals but, I know some of you guys are. I practised with this as the upper hi-hat cymbal last night and I really like it! Thanks in advance.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

I'd say they are very unlikely to be factory rivets, but I don't have quality evidence I can point you to.

Basically I take the view that unless you have the purchase receipt which shows that rivets were requested from the factory you should assume that they are not factory. That saves disappointment. If they sound nice then be happy with that.

They might have been added very early in the life of the cymbal, and have been sitting in there for many decades.

There are a number of different Supers made in different materials:

http://www.paiste-only.com/paistewiki/index.php?title=Super

From the 1969 Pasite catalog

The important thing is never to use a cymbal of inferior quality, since rivets will not make it better. You should first select the cymbal, MEDIUM or MEDIUM RIDE and then add the rivets. Six of these set about 1 1/4" from the outer edge, give a good effect. Upon request selected cymbals will be delivered with the rivets already mounted.

but of course rivets on hats need to be the right distance in to avoid collision with the other hat.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks very much, zenstat for the very informative reply! I tend to agree with you that the rivets have been there for many years. I also think that you hit it right on the head when you said that if the cymbal sounds good, use it. Actually, I like the sound more than the Zyldjian for which it was substituted. Thanks again. Your reply was very much appreciated.

Brian

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here