Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Ride cymbals

Well, I know this has been brought up before, but here it goes again. I just can`t seem to find a ride that I am happy with. Heard that one before? Most of my cymbals are vintage A`S. I have tried 18`s, 20`s and 22`s from thinner to med to heavy weights. They all just "get the whole cymbal going" if you know what I mean! Just overtones out the a**! If you use a small stick and do the demo thing like you see on the clips (sound files) they sound OK, but if you really get in to them, ringy dingy! I am playing in a small room 12 x15 with some carpet on the walls. MY crashes all sound OK, so I don`t know what the heck! I have went through many cymbals and can`t find one I like. I guess what I want to hear is more ping less wash and for sure less ringing/overtones. OK, I`m struggling here ! any suggestions? Thank, Tommy

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi, Tommy!

I know what you mean. Are you looking for the old rivet type of sound used in so many of the old tunes? If so, I bought something called a sizzler from ebay. It attaches to the cymbal stand in seconds. It fits over the edge of the cymbal and really get my ride sounding like a vintage 60's cymbal. Hope this may help a bit.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here