Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Restoring patina?

Hi,

I bought Paiste Stambul 65 ride a while back. It has a nice B8 patina, coming with some ugly green oxidation on the bottom - maybe I should do something with that. But never mind, that's not the problem.

One of previous owners obviously polished the cymbal, wich wouldn't be such a catastrophe for me, as I'm not really a purist, IF HE DIDN'T DO IT JUST ON ABOUT FIVE QUARTER INCHES. Now the cymbal is mostly dirty with a few clean spots, that seem to have been sprayed with beer or what the heck, because they're kinda dotted. As a whole, it looks weird and not really pretty.

So, what should I do? I don't want to wait another 40 years for the patina to grow back and I'm not too keen on polishing the whole cymbal either-I mean, I wouldn't mind if I got it already polished, but now I don't want to do that. Is there some way how to carefully restore the patina, probably with some kind of mild acid, without ruining the cymbal?

Oh and BTW: This cymbal is stamped Made in Germany. I saw another one stamped Made in Switzerland. I understand that these were in production for a very short time, in the quite early years of the company. Anyone knows whether Paiste already had factories in both countries or whether there is some difference between Stambuls from Germany or Switzerland?

[IMG]http://img4.rajce.idnes.cz/d0406/3/3237/3237086_58c95fc1366e91421ba9474f6eac6b5e/images/paiste65c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img4.rajce.idnes.cz/d0406/3/3237/3237086_58c95fc1366e91421ba9474f6eac6b5e/images/paiste65.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img4.rajce.idnes.cz/d0406/3/3237/3237086_58c95fc1366e91421ba9474f6eac6b5e/images/paiste65b.jpg[/IMG]

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 13 years ago

If you were to lightly pollish the whole cymbal, those "dots" would be all over the entire thing !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

It looks like someone hit that with a wheel !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Ummm. Tricky. I've experimented with a number of patina formulas, but one of the first things I discovered is that patina formulas tend to remove the existing patina. That is scary. It means you have to be willing to lose all the existing patina (or have it all go spotty) on the way to getting an even patina back again. If you are brave:

Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle some salt on each half. Take each lemon half and rub it all over the cymbal with the cymbal horizontal on some protective surface like newspaper. Don't make the juice so thick you get drips. Wait for it to dry. This may take hours or overnight. That's fine. It is the drying time which promotes oxidation. Repeat this cycle of lemon and salt and letting it dry a number of times.

You will find that you get green forming not the nice brown you want. Do not be afraid. The green can be rinsed off at the end, leaving the nice brown behind.

An alternative to the lemon method is vinegar and salt, and application with some sort of brush. Another alternative source of patina solution is pickle juice.

There are lots of more complex chemical formulae available on request.

Posted on 13 years ago

I just remembered that I've got a cymbal to do this with. Similar issue: a few partly cleaned patches compared to the rest. If you want to wait for a week, I'll probably have tried mine and I can document it with before and after photos.

The only other thing is that the reaction of the metal depends on what sort of alloy it is. I'll be working on B20. I'm not sure what that Stambul will be. The Paiste-only Wiki says B8, but the stamps aren't like yours. And RaBe's cymbal page says Stambul is NS12 but the Stambul 65 is B8.

I know from reputation that B8 responds much more quickly than B20 to patina formula. I have no experience with NS12 at all. It could be a whole different thing.

You might get more info from the people at Paiste-Only. There is a thread with stambul stamps and those guys know much more about these than I do.

Posted on 13 years ago

they sell kits for oxidation of certain metal, copper as in new gutters or exterior treatments and it ages them 100 years its a matter of the right chemicals and u can too, age your stuff some paint stores sell the kits

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here