Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Restoring 1965 Ludwig kick wood hoops

hey all,

ive got a 1965 Ludwig set (i think its a Traveler based on the hardware that attaches the rack tom) with black gloss wrap. The wood hoops on the kick drum are original, but the paint is chipped off in a bunch of spots all the way around, especially where the tension rods attach, and where the kick pedal attached. also, the pearl strip inlay on one of the hoops is missing. anyway, would it be a good idea to sand these down and repaint them? or just leave as-is? also, where could i get a replacement mother of pearl strip to replace the one that is gone. thanks in advance. i really enjoy gabbin about this stuff with you guys.

Posted on 13 years ago

Here's a recent thread with some detailed info. I tend to think that restoring hoops nicely is one restorative job that can actually increase the value of a kit, though others may disagree.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=19509&highlight=ludwig+hoops

Posted on 13 years ago

excellent, thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

If you look on my website I re did my hoops on a 50's Leedy & Ludwig, and on a 60's Ludwig Super Classic. I got nothing but compliments, and I think it improved the beauty and value of the kit. Of course there will be someone who will say it devalues the kit, but ultimatley it is your choice.

Click on the vintage restorations link on my website. Good luck, and have fun!

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 13 years ago

I agree with these guys. Restored hoops look fabulous! You can get inlay strips from jamminsams, drummaker, or precision drums. I use a vibrating sander and sand to the bare wood. You just need to decide if you want glossy or satin. Glossy will reveal more inperfections on your sanding job than satin. Get a good primer and fine sand inbetween coats and wipe with a tac-rag after sanding inbetween coats I use Jammin Sam's hibond tape installation method on the hoop inlays.

I clamp the inlays in place till i get them excatly where I want them, then peel off the backing of the hibond tape and stick it. Jammin Sams inlays come with the tape on them. I prefer gluing wrap on with contact adhesive though...

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

The inlays on Ludwigs were just stapled from the factory. I've done the same on redos. The best looking and closest finish to factory is semi gloss. Just did a set. Filled the divots, sanded down and shot with OSH semigloss, they look better then the factory done hoops on my other set!

Posted on 13 years ago

awesome guys. thanks a bunch. probably gonna do this as a little summer project once the weather gets good. ill post pics when i do. thanks again!Mallet Player2

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here