Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Repairing a cymbal

Last year, i played a Christmas party gig for a company that employed mostly young people. So what happens when you get a bunch of 20 somethings in a room with alcohol ? You get one drunken imbecile who's dancing in circles, falls on your bass drum, and knocks over your cymbal stand with your months old Paiste Giant Beat 18" crash cymbal. As a result, the cymbal fell in such a way that it put pressure on the bell from the stem of the cymbal tilter being pressed to the ground with the full dead weight of the drunken imbecile. He got up and apologized, but clearly didn't give a rat's @55 about what just happened.

With that being said, the damage isn't severe and in fact, has not changed the integrity or sound of the cymbal. It just dented the bell a little. However, i was curious to know if anyone has ever tried to repair and hammer a dent back in ? Please excuse the lack of a better term ;)

I would also assume that to hammer a dent back in would require a rubber top hammer and protecting the cymbal with a heavy blanket or cloth of some type ? You can barely see it in the pic, but you can tell where it is by the slight squaring of the hole, and two other smaller dents that surround it. You can't really see it, but the bell is slightly flattened because of the impact of the weight put on the cymbal..Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

The key here, if you decide to do it, is having good solid support under the area you are...tamping back into shape. :) With no support you risk going too far and cracking the bell.

HTH!

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

From human71

Last year, i played a Christmas party gig for a company that employed mostly young people. So what happens when you get a bunch of 20 somethings in a room with alcohol ? You get one drunken imbecile who's dancing in circles, falls on your bass drum, and knocks over your cymbal stand with your months old Paiste Giant Beat 18" crash cymbal. As a result, the cymbal fell in such a way that it put pressure on the bell from the stem of the cymbal tilter being pressed to the ground with the full dead weight of the drunken imbecile. He got up and apologized, but clearly didn't give a rat's @55 about what just happened.With that being said, the damage isn't severe and in fact, has not changed the integrity or sound of the cymbal. It just dented the bell a little. However, i was curious to know if anyone has ever tried to repair and hammer a dent back in ? Please excuse the lack of a better term ;)I would also assume that to hammer a dent back in would require a rubber top hammer and protecting the cymbal with a heavy blanket or cloth of some type ? You can barely see it in the pic, but you can tell where it is by the slight squaring of the hole, and two other smaller dents that surround it. You can't really see it, but the bell is slightly flattened because of the impact of the weight put on the cymbal..Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Its hard to see how bad it is from your photo, but just be aware you will probably not be able to eliminate the dent altogether and could make the problem worse. Stressing the metal when the "accident" occurred is bad enough. Stressing it a second time in an attempt to remove the dent may be something you'll regret.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 8 years ago

I've tried this with a older Sab crash...

Couldn't undo the damage ...& it got worse quickly..

To bad you couldn't grab the guy & make him buy yr cymbal ...

Best to keep as it is...

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 8 years ago

Please consider my initial advice retracted, by which I mean don't do it! :)

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

From DownTownFarmer

Please consider my initial advice retracted, by which I mean don't do it! :)Mitch

Lololololololololol...

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 8 years ago

Well, i've already decided NOT to do it, as the obvious consensus shows..

Cymbal sounds good and damage isn't bad, so i'm leaving her with the

"wounds of gig war" ;) Thanks to all for the advice !

Posted on 8 years ago

From RIMS n SKINS

I've tried this with a older Sab crash...Couldn't undo the damage ...& it got worse quickly..To bad you couldn't grab the guy & make him buy yr cymbal ...Best to keep as it is...

Yeah, i should've made him go to the hotel's ATM and dish out $500, then i could've got myself a

Signature Dark Energy Mark I crash ! ;)LoLoLoLo

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here