Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Removing sharpie magic marker from old Zildjian A.............

I have a very old Zildjian A 9" splash that someone circled the stamp on top with, also wrote "9" Zildjian, good $30" in several places on the bottom with a sharpie magic marker. My son picked it up years ago at a old music store he worked out that went out of bizz. The cymbal I believe is a old 1920-30's A stamp from what I can tell. Nice patina and condition, very cool sound. Anyone know what I can use to clean the marker off with and not disturb the overall look of the cymbal? I also have a old cracked Zilco he got from the same shop to experiment on with the same marker and price all over it too. I guess the guy didn't like price tags and chose to just write the type and price on the cymbals. Uggg. :D

Thanks,

Glenn.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Try nail polish remover Glenn...

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 12 years ago

Also try to trace over it with another sharpie and wipe it while its wet. Blue magic metal polish will lift it too. Good luck

Bobby Myers
Legacy Drum Shop - For Drummers By Drummers
www.legacydrumshop.com
https://www.facebook.com/LegacyDrumShop
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks guys I'll give those a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

Nail polish remover too it off thanks. I worked it in a bit with a old soft toothbrush and that helped get it out of the grooves. I tried tracing over it with another sharpie on the old cracked Zlico. It just removed the fresh stuff and took off a little of what was underneath. I didn't have the Blue magic metal polish to try on it though. So some elbow grease and NPR did the trick. The wife did give me a funny look when I asked her for nail polish remover. I told her it was to take off my old nail polish duh!!! Walking

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

Lighter fluid works as well. I've used it many times for the same application.

Posted on 12 years ago

Go over it with an erasable whiteboard marker. We've covered this in another thread maybe three years ago. I use this method several times a month. It works. Simple chemistry.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

acetone

it is a very friendly solvent we use in discovery of historic finishes wont harm any or most underlying surfaces including drum wraps .....

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

From FFR428

The wife did give me a funny look when I asked her for nail polish remover. I told her it was to take off my old nail polish duh!!!

Zildjian, bringing out drummers' sensitive side since 1673.

Posted on 12 years ago

From tubelugs

Zildjian, bringing out drummers' sensitive side since 1673.

LoLoLoLo

Thanks everyone all great suggestions. I did try a search first but didn't see anything marker/ink related. Never would have thought to try a white board eraser!

It's funny acetone was banned in the trade I work in. But it still fine for nail salons and the likes.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here