Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Removing Contact Paper Residue

I just removed some contact paper from an old Ludwig bass drum with a sparkle wrap. Would like to thoroughly clean the remaining adhesive residue from it.

Any suggestions?

Posted on 12 years ago

I just cleaned this drum that had been wrapped then had the wrap removed ....sort of...and then this goo...black lumpy lacquer applied. I think someone had a grudge against Gretsch haha.

I used furnature stripper and then a electric palm sander...and good ole human palm sander to finish it off.

The second photo shows the wrap contact cement residue

The last shot is the shell with dry-run of hardwre before it went to the painter last week.

Hope this helps

From fishaa

I just removed some contact paper from an old Ludwig bass drum with a sparkle wrap. Would like to thoroughly clean the remaining adhesive residue from it. Any suggestions?

Posted on 12 years ago

WOW!

Mine is not that bad. You can see some of it in this pic, but it's all over the drum...a stubborn adhesive film. I'm thinking Goo-Gone or something would work fine, but this drum has zero fade and I don't want to screw it up.

While I'm at it... What should the interior of this drum be re-finished with? I'm think a 220-440 sanding and then a couple coats of wipe on poly?

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

I think Gary misunderstood you. You want to get that residue off the sparkle wrap. You kind of have to be careful what you use on the wraps. Some of that adhesive remover is pretty strong and could melt your wrap. Try some dawn dish soap and hot water on a rag and spread it over a section and let it sit a few minutes and see how that works. WD40 should work too. Goo Gone? I have used it but it stinks and kind of messy. The dawn or wd40 should work.

It wont hurt anything to try.

Posted on 12 years ago

Try this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3340836

You can buy a small bottle of it for about $10. It is not as harsh as Goo Gone, Paint Thinner or Lighter Fluid. Doesn't smell as bad either. Easy to use spray bottle.

Good luck!

Posted on 12 years ago

Ha ha yes! I did misunderstand.....wow you don't want to sand the wrap...doh!

That dawn (blue) liquid soap may be just the trick. I also will look at vyacheslav's link.

In the Making of Gretsch drums video Paul Cooper says the shells are sanded to 220. That's what I did with my shells I dropped off for the painter last week = 220 grit. It makes for a nice smooth to the touch finish and if you paint the surface it's not too smooth for the paint to grab hold of.

Nice drum!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here