Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Reinforcing a crack-Good, bad or stupid?

Just a hypothetical question here:

I recently picked up an old 24" A Zildjian that has a crack at the base of the bell, going about 1/4 of the way (90 degrees) around the bell. I am going to have the ends of the crack drilled out to keep it from spreading, but I was wondering about how to possibly reinforce the cymbal. The base of the bell supports a lot of weight and takes that weight shifting with each crash and stroke, especially on that large of a cymbal.

Hypothetically of course, what do you think would be the result of reinforcing the crack with some JB Weld? I would put painters tape on either side of the crack (and the underneath side of the crack for support), so that only the exact crack would get the JB Weld. I would put it on thin enough to just fill in the crack, not have extra on top of it. I would then do the same with the backside of the crack.

1. How do you think this would affect the sound? Will it be any more/less dead than just an "empty" crack?

2. Would this give it at least some re-inforcement to help protect it? If so, is it enough to make a difference?

I'm not concerned about resale value. I plan to keep it until it gives out on me, and I only paid $25 for it.

Do you think this is intriguing, a good idea or terribly stupid?

Posted on 11 years ago

There are some really good results happening with laser welding on cymbals. welding used to be an almost impossible task because of the excessive heating and uneven cooling around the weld but some laser welds can be so precise that those former problems are pretty much gone.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks calfskin!

I'm afraid I don't own a laser weld, or have access to one. I can only handle JB Weld. Any thoughts on that?

Posted on 11 years ago

This laser welding thing sounds very interesting and may have a future but to my knowledge, there is no way to satisfactorily repair a crack in a cymbal, short of cutting it down and re hammering/re lathing it.

Unfortunately, the location of your crack makes this impossible.

Enjoy your cymbal for as long as you can.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 11 years ago

There is a guy who has done alot of welding repair on his cymbals - - - -if you just look for him - you will find his posts on here. He always posts a video with it and much of his work has been on Paistes.

If I find it, I will stop back in here and point you in the right direction.

Considering most don't weld for a living, perhaps an affordable option (considering your low investment thus far - not too much to loose) is to stop in to the local high school and see if a student wants to give it a try. I am sure the instructor will over see it so it will 'work' when done. Cosmetics are not important here (I am guessing) and this may be a very welcomed repair job in the class.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

He "fixes" them by welding. But they don't sound very good afterward. I've already tried the high school welding shop route twice. It just doesn't work. There are some occasions when a cracked cymbal sounds cool, and you can nurse it for a while. Some areas with cracks don't spread. But the cymbal is 99% of the time junk. Of course, if you are just looking for something to hit, JB Weld will work perfectly. The best fix I've seen done frequently is the JB Weld of a washer at the mounting hole.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I may try it. Honestly, it depends on how it sounds after the two ends of the crack have been drilled out. I have it with the repair guy now. It is dark and already dry, so I'm sure that it will be even a little drier. I may throw a few rivets in it too.

The way I see it, I don't really think that a little bit of JB Weld will have much effect on the sound. The cymbal is already going to be dead (no vibration transmission to the rest of the cymbal) where the crack is anyway, so why not try it? If this was an Istanbul K once owned by Elvin I wouldn't try it, but for my modest cost, this makes it a good guinea pig cymbal. If I do it carefully and properly (don't do a sloppy job or use way too much JB Weld), I can't see how it would make the cymbal sound worse, while having some reinforcement there would certainly be better than none. I know that JB Weld is not "real" metal, and is certainly of a different material than the rest of the cymbal, but for that small of an amount, that's like having a couple of drops of Sprite in a 44oz cup that you fill with Pepsi. Are you ever going to notice or taste it?

Posted on 11 years ago

Of course there is always the option of cutting the entire crack out.....and leave a shape that has no corners. One thing I have learned (from experienced advisors) is to always use a lubricant when cutting cymbals. You don't want them to heat up on you, as that will weaken the cymbal there and make it more prone to further cracking, even 'new' at a spot that is weakened.

I have little hands on experience with these things, though am just trying to share what I do know about it. It would be easy to oversee some of these things that are discussed here and then fail as a result.

I have a cymbal that appears to have a section cut out - no doubt to cut out the crack, and it looks as if they used a drill to drill out the large semi-circle there. It is all smooth and I predict will never crack again. Good repair there. Of course this is in the case of an edge crack and not one at the base of the bell like the OP is looking at.

Yeah - try to cut that out into an oval-like shape, and if done well, it may give you much more lifespan for the thing.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

I have a similar 22" Zildjan cymbal that is missing a chunk out of the hole, so I threw a grommet in there and have been blasting that thing ever since. I figured if it breaks, it was already broken.

I am pretty sure others have tried the JB weld route though, and cannot report on those results. I still say what is the worst that can happen? An un-repairable, cracked, cymbal breaks again?

Go for it!

Toodles

Drumhack

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 11 years ago

I TIG weld mine, and they sound good IMO and my customers agree. A small crack as you described is not to hard to repair. As far a people laser welding cymbals, as far as I know I'm the only guy in the world welding cymbals, a process I have developed over the last 10 years. It takes more than just running a bead, b20 bronze is a PITA to weld and requires exact temp. control. In fact I have a Zildjian A 18" rock crash a guy dropped off yesterday, that I intend on welding about 30 minutes from now...

Be the change you want to see in the world
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here