Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Recording Sound Files

Hey Guys, what the best way to record quality sound files. Could I just use an sm57 or would another mic be better? Thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago

I assume because of the forum you posted this in, you are trying to record cymbals only. If this is true, then an SM 57 isn't the best choice for this application. While it is a versatile mic, it's not nearly as good for cymbals as a large or small diaphragm condenser mic.

Some examples of good small condensers for cymbals are Oktava MK-102, Neumann KM 184, etc... For large condensers the Rode NT1a, AKG C 414, etc...

None of these are as cheap as an SM 57 although used, you can find the Rode for around $100.00 (vs. $60.00 - $75.00 for a used 57).

There are also inexpensive condensers which will get the job done, but not sound as good as the higher end mics. One example is the MXL 990/991 mic kit which you can buy for around $79.00. The kit includes one MXL 990 large diaphragm and one MXL 991 small diaphragm condenser mic and is a good "starter" kit to introduce you to condenser mics and their characteristics.

Be aware that unlike the SM 57, condensers require 48 volt phantom power in order to produce sound. Most mixers (even the cheap ones) these days have switchable phantom power on their mic pre's. For around $150.00, you can get the MXL kit and a 2 input mixer which should get you started.

Mic placement for recording cymbals is generally overhead, 2 - 4' from the cymbal(s). Depending on room acoustics, you may want to stay in the 1.5 - 2' range.

Hope this helps.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 14 years ago

WOW! Thank you Big Daddy for the advice and for sharing your knowledge. Yes, you are correct. I was just talking about cymbals. This helps tremendously! Thanks again.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here