Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Recommendations for bebop cymbals

Hi,does anybody have a recommendation of good vintage cymbal for playing bebop?

I ask this qustion becaus i usually playing bebop.

Thanks!

Posted on 11 years ago

Anything thin,,,Italian,,,,Zildjians K's or A's,,,,even old Paste stanoples and such. I mean,,,well anything old that you like,,,will work. I enjoy newer cymbals,,,but everyone has preference. Not really a Zildjian guy here,,,but band2

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendatons,dardrum:)

Posted on 11 years ago

From xipa4

Hi,does anybody have a recommendation of good vintage cymbal for playing bebop?I ask this qustion becaus i usually playing bebop.Thanks!

I would look around for some vintage '50s A Zildjians. Early '50s A's were hand hammered and were darker and washier than modern A's. There are still plenty of then out there. For Bop, some of the best choices are vintage A with a trans stamp. They can still be found relatively easily, but a 20" medium thin trans stamp may cost between $300 and $500. Check stores like Sam Ash if there is one near you. They often have vintage A's at very reasonable used prices. I picked up a dark, washy, and woody 20" trans stamp for under $200 there. We can help you identify the stamps. While vintage K's may give you even more of the sound you want, they will cost several times more than vintage A's.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago
Posted on 11 years ago

Just last night I played a 22" Meinl Byzance and boyo if that wasn't an interesting cymbal. Lots and lots of overtones, sometimes a bit much but what a great cymbal.

So many choices out there now it can get overwhelming.

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here