Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Reasonable enough?

I just got a pair of Zildjian A Mastersound 14" hats for $150 on Ebay. I bought them as a spare because I know eventually my A Mastersounds will need replaced someday.

They are in really good shape. No cracks, keyhole or other issues.

I know what they cost new, but wasn't sure what % of new-price is typical for used hats like these. I realize that they will not sound exactly the same as what I have, but I don't think that will end up being an issue.

Anyways, is $150 reasonable used price for these?

Thanks, Dave

Posted on 14 years ago

From orangemod

I just got a pair of Zildjian A Mastersound 14" hats for $150 on Ebay. I bought them as a spare because I know eventually my A Mastersounds will need replaced someday. They are in really good shape. No cracks, keyhole or other issues. I know what they cost new, but wasn't sure what % of new-price is typical for used hats like these. I realize that they will not sound exactly the same as what I have, but I don't think that will end up being an issue. Anyways, is $150 reasonable used price for these? Thanks, Dave

Well, they are 350 new, so 150 for some good ones is not unreasonable, I would think...

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From orangemod

I just got a pair of Zildjian A Mastersound 14" hats for $150 on Ebay. I bought them as a spare because I know eventually my A Mastersounds will need replaced someday. They are in really good shape. No cracks, keyhole or other issues. I know what they cost new, but wasn't sure what % of new-price is typical for used hats like these. I realize that they will not sound exactly the same as what I have, but I don't think that will end up being an issue. Anyways, is $150 reasonable used price for these? Thanks, Dave

The A Mastersounds are not exactly vintage which is the intent of this site, But so matter. A couple of thoughts come to mind.

Your original point is that you believe your original A Mastersounds will need to be replaced someday. How old are they and what sort of shape are they in and why do you think they'll need to be replaced? Most of the cymbals discussed on this forum are from 40 to 70 years old and still going strong. Unless you abuse your Mastersounds they could last a lifetime.

IMHO, the differences in sound between various pairs of A Mastersounds is noticable, but not significant and if my memory of the resale price of modern A's isn't faulty, I believe $150 for a pair in good shape is a good price. But it still begs the question why you felt the need to get the second pair at all.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago

Kool, I was thinking I was ok on that. I'm kinda looking forward to getting them, trying them out, then putting them in the closet in queue. Might have sounded like a dumb question, but I just wasnt sure if the used price followed the same basic criteria for rides, crashes, etc. Appearantly they do.

You know, something I really like about the A Mastersounds is the "crimped" edges on the bottom hat. It lets the air escape easier and sounds like I get a great chic out of them.

I know they are not vintage, but usually "most" people on forums are happy to help someone out who doesn't have the answer to the question.

Oh yes, why I bought them. I guess I liked the ones I have so much that I felt like if I had a spare set, it would be good to have. I mean, maybe I'll crack them or damage them...or after several years, they will simply get worn-out.

I figured that for 150 bucks, it wouldn't be too much of a risk. If I never end up using them as an actual "replacement, I suppose I could just sell them. I dunno, maybe sometime I may find a good deal on a trade for something I want. Maybe use for another kit.

To be honest with you Bos, I wasn't aware that they could last so long. I'm 47 and have only been playing for 5 years. I know a lot about doing repairs on wood & metal, tuning, things like that.

But not having had the time to actually wear-out even one cymbal, you could see why I wasn't aware how long they actually last. Truthfully, I was a bit astounded how long they last as you stated.

Anyways, there is another idea I had. And the most important to me if I get a different sound, that may be something I would use while playing tunes here at my house. At home I've got plenty of time to try different stuff. I do that with my snares. My Tama monoply w/ wood hoops has a "woody" sound (yeah I know), and it works better for some tunes.

Thanks for the help/reply.

Cheers, Dave

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here