Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Rare, yadda yadda, yadda

I "Rarely" use the word on Ebay in my auctions. What in your mind is considered rare. I guess rare is anything you have ever seen one of?

I guess people still use the word to draw attention to an auction, but it really bugs me when I see it on a non "Rare" item.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

I "Rarely" use the word on Ebay in my auctions. What in your mind is considered rare. I guess rare is anything you have ever seen one of? I guess people still use the word to draw attention to an auction, but it really bugs me when I see it on a non "Rare" item. David

Rare = not many examples of a particular drum...could be documented that "few were made" or that there are "less than 10 in existence as of this printing"...

Sometimes I use the words scarce or hard to find, I try not to get into the "rare" mode unless it is really the case...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

I have a handful of drums that might even be one of a kind - I've sure not seen one like any of them in all my years of drumbrowsing. So they might be considered 'rare'. But they are all 'less sought after' drums, a Swiss Imperial brand, a Jedson, a Joseph Rogers & sons Daisy Brand, a John Grey Orchestral. I really like collecting these cause #1, I can afford to buy them in the 1st place, as opposed to a much more valuable Black Beauty, or vintage Leedy, or whatever. But I also like the character of each, as well as it's place in drum history, like the Jedson being predescessor to the Leedy drums. I find it interesting, seeing the 'in between' drums made by some historic notorious drumbuilders. I also like having a handful of drums nobody else has. And I also like taking these castaways & restoring inserting them back into existence.

Although, my point is that though these might be considered 'rare' or one of a kind, they wouldn't really sell for much because of it either.

Posted on 17 years ago

Mike and Tbone, good points.

I guess it is the people trying to "trick" people into thinking it is rare when in fact it is not at all.

You both have drums I would call rare.

Thanks

David

Posted on 17 years ago

The only drums I have ever described as "rare" were the Rogers Black Onyx bop kit I recently had up on ebay. The bass drum was a 14 x 18, only 1 of 2 I have ever seen in black onyx. Never seen another black onyx 18 - 12 - 14 except for mine...not that they aren't out there. I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I called the drums "ultra-rare.":o

I agree though..."rare" just gets thrown around a bit much.

What also gets tiresome is "The most recorded snare drum in history." Says who? And how is it that Radio Kings, Supraphonics, Black Beauties, Acrolites, and Super-Sensitives are all the most recorded snare drum in history?

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

Yep and the even more classic "This drumset/snare drum/cymbal has been on a lot of major tours"

So now the instrument is a world traveller, it is worth more, without saying who, why or when.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Old post, but I was bored and skimming through past posts.... Can I also get an Amen that "Bonham" should be added to these eye catching auction blurbs?? "Bonham" does not belong anywhere in the description of a 10x10 1990's Ludwig Emerald Stain Super Classic, a 14x22 80's White Cortex BD, or a 5x14 Acrolyte (although there are many facts to support Bonham may have used a 5x14 Supra and 22,13,16 set on LZ1) :D

"The most recorded snare drum in the history" Love that one too! Don't you know that there is actually a documented study that was conducted which compiled snare usage data of over 80+ years of recorded music?? I believe the CD-ROM is available on Ebay. Very "Rare" though! ;)

Also... does anyone find the middle ground on Ebay? It seems I usually spend way way way too much, or get lucky (suspicious) and spend way way way less than projected. $460 for a 9lb 60's 24" Zildjian Ride?? Should I be institutionalized? [/FONT][/SIZE]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here