Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Rajah cymbals

What can you tell me about Rajah cymbals? From what I can find online, which is not very much, they are either made by Zilco/Sabian in the late 60,s early 70,s or made in England (Zyn/Krut ?). There is a pair of hi-hats for sale near me that I might go check out. Thanks!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 11 years ago

I have never handled one but there are pictures on the web that clearly show, the stamp Rajah Made in England with 3 stars over the name ,encircled in an oval. They look to be nickel silver . Premier, made Zyn cymbals in their own facility. They also made Krut Special( there doesn't appear to have been a Krut Ordinary), which was a Beverley brand both prior and after the Premier factory was producing Beverley drums. From the pictures and descriptions, as well as handling a few, it seems that they also made Symara, Rassem and and Kamala cymbals for Dallas-Carlton and John Grey.

They probably did not make Ajax cymbals for Boosey&Hawkes. All of the former have a completely similar mfg. style ,split into one of two shapes. The only difference is the stamp.

Ajax cymbals are completely different in mfg. style and shape. B&H also issued them under the name Gordon.

If I was to see a picture of these hi-hats, I could make a reasonable determination of their origin.

There is also evidence that the Rajah brand , might also have been made by Zildjian, without the Made in England stamp. Many brands , such as this are marketing names and over time can be sourced from various suppliers.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thank you for the great info Calfskin! I couldn't see a stamp in the ad but i though they looked like they could be a nickel alloy, like Zyns. I think I'll skip on these. I have a pair of Zyn hats already and I only use 1 as an effects cymbal (china crash?). Way too noisy for hi-hats IMO.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 11 years ago