Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

"Cheap" Cymbal thread

Just to clarify, I am referring to "Cheap" as "Perceived Low Quality", not the price paid for the cymbal.

What are some "cheap" cymbals you have discovered or enjoyed over the years?

I'll start:

- A Paiste 404 20" ride I found used with 7 rivet holes in it, drilled in a weird spot (halfway between the edge of the cymbal and the base of the bell). I put rivets in, and that thing sounds great. Loud enough for a rock gig, but soft enough for a jazz gig. Super versatile.

-A Paiste 300 series 20" ride. This thing is so dry, it literally sounds like there is tape on it (there is none). It's my "poor man's" original Sabian Jack DeJohnette Ride (the dark brown with the white ink stamps). A big, dry crash when wailed on.

-A set of Pulse branded 14" Hi-Hats-Brilliant finish made in Germany that I got for free with a used kit. Very dry and quiet-they make excellent hats for a quiet acoustic or jazz gig. They don't have that cheap "pitch bend" sound that a lot of cheap hats do.

-A recently got a used set of 13" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats (the newest versions available, with the cursive label and extra lathing) just to have as "beaters" for my rehearsal space. Boy those darn things sound good. Very versatile-not cheap or beginnery sounding at all. By the way, these newest ZBT's actually sound very good for what they are. Yes, they are still B8 Stamped metal, but they actually sound like cymbals and not crap, if that makes sense.

-An old 20" Ajax England made ride with 6 rivet holes with a super flat bell and a very dome like profile. Very unique sounding, like one of those Bill Stewart rides, but a little brighter and trashier.

I'm sure I have many more, but I'll give you guys the floor.....................

Posted on 9 years ago

I love my 20" Zildjian Amir ride; loved it so much when I first got it that I quickly found another one on CL.

Unfortunately, the second one sounded different.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat

Posted on 9 years ago

I used to own a pair of Zildjian 13" ZBT hats that were surprisingly nice sounding. they came with a beginner kit i bought. I did a partial trade in/cash deal to buy some 14" Zildjian A hats. kinda wish I still had them.

Posted on 9 years ago

Paiste 18" 502+ crash/ride. Thank me later 70's guys

www.brendanpeleolazar.com
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here