Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Question about large cymbals and weight

I seem to have been reading on here that people prefer there larger ride cymbals to be lighter in weight, why is this? I have a 40s ride that's a 22" and it sounds great to me and the weight is if I can remember the description 3000.... Something. I can't remember exactly as the ad was taken off, is this heavy for that size? Or is it just with old k's.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 9 years ago

As long as the weight will still sustain a good stick sound, thinner larger rides are generally smother and less harsh sounding, and tend to blend better especially with acoustic instruments like bass and piano.

3000g's is on the heavy side for a 22 but it could very well have a nice clear stick sound and hold up in a louder context like a big band or with electric guitars.

Posted on 9 years ago

Yes, this one does have a good stick sound, was described as having a ' chime like' stick sound, description was true, It holds up in a big band playing, doesn't wash out like a 50s one I have, good semi-complex sound etc, having said this I do sometimes think it could 'cut' through more ( when band gets quite loud) if the gunk was cleaned off, but no way am I doing that!! No way! I did that to 50s one and it did ruin the sound. Ok, well thanks for your info there Agopsalott. Drummers quite often are wanting mellower sounding cymbals, I went through that, I had a modern Constantinople, and a one of those Istanbul mell Lewis rides, these are all realy nice sounding with great 'vibe' but the trouble was they just didn't cut through for me when playing with a larger band , my aim is to have something in the middle. Oh, great for small band stuff of course.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here