Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

pulling off a satin mahogany stain?

Hey guys, i have an early 80's ludwig kit in a mahogany wood stain but there are tons of nicks and scratches and it just looks pretty bad.. I wanted to sand and restain as close to the original color as possible, but I want to go for a satin finish(i dont think the finish was even high gloss to begin with) because high gloss seems like WAY more work than I'm willing to put in to achieve that shiny pro finish. My question is: how error-proof is a satin finish as opposed to the endless steps of sanding/applying finish/sanding..etc for a glossy finish? can i just do like 5 coats of a satin tung oil finish over an oil-soluble stain with 000 steel wool in between? that seems manageable and i have all the materials already to do it. i attached a pic of what EXACTLY what im going for(look at the floor tom). thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

goint thru the same stuff with a premier kit mahogany. im wondering what the sanding with do to the thin grooves. PM me if u find any good techniques... u gotta go thru clear coat too or is it matte?

D-roK
Posted on 13 years ago

There is a clear coat, though it doesnt look too thick- ive been testing the BD hoop with sandpaper, and i get down to the stain pretty quick. I have been able to find tons of info online covering proper finishing techniques, I just dont want to sand and coat a 24,18,and13" drum every day for 2 weeks, not to mention the cost of of loads of varying grits of sandpaper. I want a satin finish, and I assume most of those steps are for that super shiny finish...

Posted on 13 years ago

if it is mahogany you might not have to stain it, it will have a reddish brown color to it naturally. And yes to the tongue oil.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here