Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Please help me recognise that cymbals!

Hi!

I'm very keen on sound of cymbals used in band Blue Cheer but I can't find any info about them.

Here's an example of them: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5uDozoSSM[/ame]

Crashed ride sounds great to me! Can anybody tell me, what cymbals it would be? The record was made in 1968. Probably they're Zildjians. It sounds to me like 20-22" thin or medium thin ride, maybe A? I have no idea.

Thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago

O.K. I'll take a stab at it.

There's 4 cymbals there but one only shows up intermittently because of the special effects being used. So for purpose of this discussion I will leave that one to out. But from the ones I can see, I'd say: 20", 18", 17"...and A's all the way.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posted on 12 years ago

Blue Cheer was known for their loudness. There was a rumour around 1968, that they were too loud for the studio, when recording this album so had to record it on a wharf . Irregardless, they were loud and given the unrefined drum mikeing of the time the cymbals would have to be loud and cutting to keep up. He's got an off the shelf Rogers kit ,complete with stands and I seem to recall that Rogers was one of the early promoters of 602s???? Does anyone else remember this?

Also, Paiste promoted 602's as an alternative to A. Zildjian in rock circles---as being louder and brighter. Some of those cymbals sound pretty glassy.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here