Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Please help me identify this cymbal

This is a 20" cymbal I got from a guy locally who bought it on eBay. I don't have a picture of the stamp--sorry.. I am able to take more pictures of the cymbal itself if needed. The hole is smaller than newer cymbals, so I'm guessing it has to be at the latest from the 50s. It weighs 2098 grams, has a nice flutter to the edges when played, crashes well, has decent stick definition. The surface has what appears to be a good amount of small somewhat uniform hand-hammering, both on the top and the bottom. Also the bell is flatter on the top and the bell arcs up somewhat abruptly from the flat part of the cymbal to the flat top of the bell. The alloy is definitely B20 and I think it looks like an Avedis Zildjian but I see no engraved logos on it anywhere. It was apparently originally owned by a professional drummer in the Boston area, which makes me think it could be a Zildjian but with no logo, I'm asking for the sharper eyes on this forum (Bill?) to be able to make a determination, as only some of these eagle-eyed experts are able to determine the make of a cymbal according to factors other than the stamp, such as lathing shape and pattern, cymbal shape and bell shape, etc.

Does it look like a cymbal you may have that has a stamp on it? Any comments and or info/observations are highly appreciated. I have ideas about what it may be but I'm reserving commentary for later, hoping that someone my have some good comments. Please, even if you don't know what you're talking about, feel free to chime in.. Thanks!

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

The hammering on the bottom view is reminiscent of a small A trans stamp cymbal I have from the '40s Can you give us a view of the entire top of the cymbal? The cymbal looks to be in pretty good shape. There is likely a stamp somewhere. Perhaps you need to look in better light.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago

It really has been looked over as well as possible, I think.. I thought it looked like a Transition era AZ.. the hole is the smaller approx 3/8" size. Every time I look at it I try to find the stamp, still haven't (Yet, I guess). I thought I put a top view in there? I guess not. Here is a top view, the bell at an angle and a closer view of the bell area:

I understand some may diss this without the stamp to ID it, but it is what it is.. I think I'll go play it some more..

After viewing a few recent trans stamp eBay cymbals, I think this appears more like an early-mid 50's model, similar to one I had a couple of years ago, it had a smaller size stamp on it.. But the flatter bell profile and the rougher surface seems possibly a few years later than the early 50s trans stamp 18" I had a few years ago. That cymbal had a smoother surface to it.. But again although I've been through quite a few cymbals I'm asking for observationally-experienced viewpoints.. Thanks Bos!

I will try to get a side view snapped sometime tomorrow. Anyone wanting other views please ask..

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hmm. The bell is also reminiscent of the one on my 11"trans. Normal most of the way up and topped by a flatter section leaning slightly to one side. The top of the cymbal looks to be in pretty good shape. You'd think there would be some sign of the stamp even if very badly worn. Maybe drumaholic can shed some light. It still looks trans like to me. How does it sound?

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago

Really open, semi dark sound, good stick lots of wash, nice wide open crash tone, good fairly distinct bell tone.. Has a small amount of low end hum.. Plays well with my other oldies..

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Gorgeous cymbal. First set of pics made me think Italian....but some of the telltale signs are absent. Second set of pics really looks like an old A....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Pounder

Really open, semi dark sound, good stick lots of wash, nice wide open crash tone, good fairly distinct bell tone.. Has a small amount of low end hum.. Plays well with my other oldies..

Nice. Sounds like a keeper!

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago

That's got to be an A. The way the bell flattens at the top and also the hammering style look very Avedis to me. And that hand hammering both top and bottom makes me guess it be be early 1950's

Posted on 14 years ago

From Drumaholic

That's got to be an A. The way the bell flattens at the top and also the hammering style look very Avedis to me. And that hand hammering both top and bottom makes me guess it be be early 1950's

Is my earlier suggestion that it might be a trans based on the underside hammering and the bell reasonable? I had thought late '40s, but perhaps my similarly looking 12" inch trans (I mistakingly indicated 11") is from the '50s as well. I'll try to provide some decent pictures of it one of theses days..

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes. I think so. This could possibly date back to the later 1940's too.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here