Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Pleasantly surprised by vintage 15" Rude hi hats!!!

This morning I received a set of 1981 15" Paiste Rude hi hats with sequential serial numbers (111406 and 111407) weighing 1100g / 1400g. that I purchased (1) because the price was a no brainer and (2) I found them interesting as I have never seen or heard of 15" Paiste Rude (non-sound edge) hi hats. I had pre-conceived ideas about these hats, expecting crude, harsh, obnoxious and loud hats.

However, when I put them up and started playing them, I was pleasantly surprised. They react to your sticking very well - from mellow, dry "ticks" tightly closed on the top, to a great low pitched slosh, to an awesome semi-open sizzle. These hats are way more versatile than what I expected and I can honestly see them fitting in in just about every musical situation (maybe not acoustic jazz, but just about anything else). I really enjoy these hats and suspect that they will be on my hi hat stand for a while (taking the place of my 15" 2002 medium hi hats). Great hats - here's a little video of them:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewy2_2YqcXU&feature=youtu.be"]15" Paiste Rude Hi Hats - YouTube[/ame]

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 6 years ago

Very nice!..

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 6 years ago

Cool video...thanks.

I had a Rude crash/ride from the 80's for a while, great bell, not sure why I sold it. Those hats sound very good, I think that 15th inch thins out the sound just enough.

Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

From Mr.Toast

Cool video...thanks.I had a Rude crash/ride from the 80's for a while, great bell, not sure why I sold it. Those hats sound very good, I think that 15th inch thins out the sound just enough.

Hi there - I agree with you. I think it kind of mellows it out a bit. And maybe the fact that they are 36 years old also helps Cool Dude

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 6 years ago

I think the vintage Rudes are thinner than they're modern counterparts. The new ones also have this slightly darkened green hue, giving them an "army jeep" green look.They also look like they've been treated with some type of coating that the vintage ones don't have. I think this may have something to do with the tone. Reproductions are never spot on, however, the Giant Beats are the closest to the originals of all the reissues.

All my Paiste cymbals are vintage, except for one, and that's my Giant Beat, only because it sounds almost identical to the originals that came out in the 60's. I currently have my eye on a set of Signature Dark Energy Mark I 13" hi-hats that have since been discontinued by Paiste. The smallest they now have in that series is 14". Great price too, although i can't afford them at this time. If i end up selling a set of new beats that i bought for my McCartney Tribute band, i'll definitely be picking them up. They're the best sounding hi-hats Paiste has ever produced, imho..

Posted on 6 years ago

From human71

I think the vintage Rudes are thinner than they're modern counterparts. The new ones also have this slightly darkened green hue, giving them an "army jeep" green look.They also look like they've been treated with some type of coating that the vintage ones don't have. I think this may have something to do with the tone. Reproductions are never spot on, however, the Giant Beats are the closest to the originals of all the reissues.All my Paiste cymbals are vintage, except for one, and that's my Giant Beat, only because it sounds almost identical to the originals that came out in the 60's. I currently have my eye on a set of Signature Dark Energy Mark I 13" hi-hats that have since been discontinued by Paiste. The smallest they now have in that series is 14". Great price too, although i can't afford them at this time. If i end up selling a set of new beats that i bought for my McCartney Tribute band, i'll definitely be picking them up. They're the best sounding hi-hats Paiste has ever produced, imho..

Hey Rob, how are you? How much do you want for the hats? I have some pre-serial 602's if you want...Let me know

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 6 years ago

I agree they are more "civil" sounding than I would have expected. Nice...

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here