Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Playing "junk"

Check out Billy Martin's ride in this video.

That's some cracking!

Works for him, though, I guess. Also, concert tom Rogers. You don't see that every day, either. It seems to me that often ugly sounding and interestng sounding can be almost indistinguishable.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCalkGgumTo"]Medeski Martin & Wood - Full Concert - 08/13/05 - Newport Jazz Festival (OFFICIAL) - YouTube[/ame]

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 8 years ago

He plays concert tom Craviottos now...

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 8 years ago

Took about 15 minutes just to hear the thing.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

I sat in with some friends at the St.Pete Tennis Club and all the drummers cymbals were student level,like ZBT's, but because the room was so small and the volume level so low, they were perfectly balanced for the situation. Go figure...

Posted on 8 years ago

Billy alway plays with the weirdest gear and makes it sound great! He was using bongos & an african dun-dun as as bass drum a lot in the late 90's. I just the sonic landscapes he can lay down!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 8 years ago

All centre lug, by the look of it. Is it Rogers? Can't work it out. Great wrap though, and nice "tight-floppy" sound all around.

As for the cymbal being junk, well, it probably is, but if it has the sound you want then it's gold. And you wouldn't chuck it out just because it's not a top line Zildjian!

I really like the sound he's getting, and let's be honest, who among us hasn't played a piece of sh!t purely because it sounds right? I know I have!

Cool vid, thanks for that!

Posted on 8 years ago

I play the resident paiste 101 ride every sat morning at big band rehearsals, I actually really like the sound of it! I think it's just that it wouldn't cut through in biger rooms but then again some hi end rides I have wouldn't either.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Just got a pair of first gen Amir Zildjian hats....pretty good for cheap cymbals, I gotta say. The price was more than pretty good too! Ya gotta use what works, period.

Posted on 8 years ago

Fantastic sound! Man I'd love to get in a band like this....better work on the chops heh.

And yeah, I've used cracked cymbals many times for their "less-bright" qualities. If I had to guess I'd say the one in the clip above is an old K.....

[edit] around 44:00 that's a real Mellotron!

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

From JSdrums

Just got a pair of first gen Amir Zildjian hats....pretty good for cheap cymbals, I gotta say. The price was more than pretty good too! Ya gotta use what works, period.

I played a first gen Amir Zildjian ride back in the early 1980s. To this day, one of the best ride's I ever owned (FYI: Kenny Aronoff played one too).

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here