Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Pearl CX-500 HHs

I have a sizable HH collection - and have spent plenty of time swapping. In addition, I have flipped even more and thus have played numerous hihats. Zildjians, Sabian, Paiste, Italians, German, Swiss, MIJ ;) - you name it. I have played for 30 years and for about 25 years I have been a proud owner of a pair of Zildjian hollow-logo New Beats. I agree with most drummers who assert that the gold standard of hihats are the Zildjian New Beats.

Often when drummers are evaluating HHs they compare them to the gold standard - the NBs. Several months ago, I acquired a pair of Pearl CX-500s and for some reason - did not think they were anything special. Again, for some reason, (perhaps now that I have recorded them) I have revisited them and I have to say.......

get ready......this will shock some and perhaps even provoke some criticism.........

Of ALL the Hihats that I have played......when eliminating the variable of metal composition (leaving it wide open to all, not just B20), I have found that the Pearl CX-500s are the closest thing to New Beats I have ever played on. Terry Keating (AKA Bonzoleum) believes that the Paiste Medium 505s are the best sounding B8 hats and closest to the NBs. I invite him to evaluate the Pearl CX-500s. The sound is most definitely different (than the 505s) and I would have to say that I may even put the Pearls above the 505s in terms of overall sound (and I am a BIG fan of the 505s!)

Check out my video and hear for yourself. This will play right where I throw the Cx-500 top on (after the CX-900 was on top). CX-900 on top sounds good, but not as good as the 500. Without a doubt, due to induced wetness, the CX-500 bottom is superior to the CX-900 bottom.

Check it out here.......and indeed check it out if you have a pair or if you know someone with a pair of these. I am seriously looking forward to reading the comments that follow.

**If this video starts at the beginning, skip to the 10:27 mark to see where I switch out the HHs (to the CX-500 T and B)

[ame]http://youtu.be/xXMKmq6ApSg?t=10m27s[/ame]

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago

OK now - just played them again.....perspective matters - as in, you have to consider what you were just playing moments before you tore into some hats. I was playing the CX-900s before those CX-500s and that is why I was prompted to start this thread. However, let me continue:

Before you guys slap me across the face and yell at me to WAKE UP, hear my clarification and perhaps I will be more understood.

I mention on the video about the "mechanics" - this is the characteristics of the attack/wash, etc. In this thread, I am not talking about tone - as it is very clear that the NB metal composition is far superior to the CX-500 metal composition. That is why I qualified to open up all types of metal/alloys.

I am talking about chick/attack/wash/wet v dry/etc. The CX-500 is indeed brighter than, say the 404s - but overall the balance of chick/wet attack/wet wash/etc. is very good and comparable to the NBs.

There - maybe that will help.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 10 years ago

Those sound really nice John. Thanks for the vids it's very nice of you to take the time to do them. Very interesting comparison. I'll have to check out some of these if I come across some and try them.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

HIGHLY recommended - I already have some (see above)

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/161390553138?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/ame]

Posted on 10 years ago

Just watched as it went right down to the last minute with no bids. Seems somebody decided to snag them up at the very end. I was actually thinking about grabbing them as it was such a low price.

I hope the lone bidder will report here once they get a chance to check them out. I was tempted as the font was different, but in the end decided that I need to just be happy to already have mine.

Great deal for somebody.

Posted on 10 years ago

I just ordered me some CX500 hi hats. Bought them for $50 shipped. I like my Pearl Wild 500 hi hats, so I'm looking forward to these :)

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here