Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Pawn Shop steal - A Zildjian & CIE Constantinople ride

I was drawn by forces beyond my understanding to a local pawn shop where I saw a beautiful, aged ride cymbal poking out of a stack of B8s leaning against a counter. As I picked it up and examined the stamp, I knew this was no cheap beginner cymbal. The price: $60. I reached into my wallet, handed cash from my recent New Year's Eve gig to the clerk who couldn't understand why I was grinning so widely.

My loot was an A Zildjian & CIE Constantinople brilliant 20" ride - from the 70's - 80's period when they hadn't yet come up with the Brilliant designation. A really nice rock ride, selling between $169 and $299 on eBay. Not a bad bargain, and a really nice cymbal. It debuts at my gig on Friday night!

Posted on 6 years ago

Nice score!! Enjoy!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

Brilliant cymbals were advertised by 1971. The patent was applied for Feb 6, 1970 granted 3640029 Feb 8, 1972. See: http://black.net.nz/cym2014/z-brilliant.jpg

$8 additional per cymbal and available on Avedis Zildjian and Zilco cymbals. A Zildjian & Cie came after the introduction of Brilliants.

That version of the A Zildjian & Cie stamp is the 1973 one. I haven't yet pinned down when that version was replaced by the later A Zildjian & Cie trademark. The later version has stylistic similarities to the K trademark introduced in 1982 or so, and the A Zildjian & CO. stamp which is also 80s. See: http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#AZCieConstan

I don't know where eBay is getting the range of $169 and $299 from. Is that specific to A Zildjian & Cie cymbals? Is that specific to the 1970s? My research shows an expected median value of $120 which is well below their entire range. I don't report them separately (only 5 completed sales for 20" rides so far) but the bigger context on prices is

[img]http://black.net.nz/avedis/images/A20-price-by-era.png[/img]

The A Zildjian & Cie cymbals tend to be heavier (a nice rock ride as you say) and fetch prices with the same distribution as other 70s cymbals. So the median expected price is $144 with half selling for between $88 and $165 n=46.

If the eBay price range is mixing in A Zildjian & Cie Vintage (very different cymbals and very different price behavior as you can see over on the far right) I can see them getting the range they report. One quarter of cymbals offered for sale have either no identification of production era, or an incorrect identification. So if the eBay algorithm doesn't identify the cymbals properly and just uses the seller description you can expect inaccurate results. See: http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-prices.html#confusion-matrix

So $60 is great buying, but possibly not as great as that eBay price range suggests. I am really interested in following up precisely where and how that eBay price range is presented.

Note about labels in the graph: T = Trans Stamp, L = Large Stamp, S = Small Stamp, M = Modern (laser stamp 1994 onwards).

Posted on 6 years ago

It was based on my quick perusal of eBay and Reverb listings last night, and represents the high and low listings I found. It doesn't include cymbals from the later "Vintage Rarities" line, which tend to mush in with search results for these cymbals. I agree that the $299 listing is probably a highball.

Posted on 6 years ago

I bought a 20" CIE about 6 years ago for $90 on eBay. It was quite heavy and I didn't care for it, so I had it lathed and re-hammered by Heather Stine (she charged $100 at the time). She improved it a LOT, although I still wasn't sufficiently fond of it, so I sold it. As a "Stine", it sold for $175 on eBay.

$60 sounds like a nice price, especially if you like it.

Posted on 6 years ago

Nice find. Those are neat cymbals.

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

I had a 20” mini bell version once..around 1974,,,,,Don’t recall where I got it...must not have been that old though.....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here