Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Paiste sound formula hats

I'm trying to determine the vintage as well as estimated market value of this set of Paiste 14" Medium Heavy Sound Formula hi-hat cymbals.

Any and all "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Posted on 6 years ago

Last pair I saw was about $130.

Posted on 6 years ago

From OldSchool

I'm trying to determine the vintage as well as estimated market value of this set of Paiste 14" Medium Heavy Sound Formula hi-hat cymbals. Any and all "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sound Formulas were the precursor to the Signature line. People who sell them at low prices don't really know what they're selling and are ignorant as to their true value. Since yours are medium-heavy hi hats, then they're hi hats that are extremely versatile and can be used in just about any situation, giving them their higher value. I'd say yours can be valued at between $200-300, especially since they're discontinued. I once bought a used sound formula 19" crash at a pawn shop for $190 CAN., and that's because i haggled the price. Had a regular drum shop been selling it used, they could have easily sold it for $190-250. Consider it's current equivalent as well, and that can help determine your value. The current equivalent would be a Signature medium set of hi hats. Here in Canada, they're currently selling at $630.00.

I just found a set of used Paiste 1st generation Alpha medium hi hats at a pawn shop, that i'll be picking up for $80.00 that were Swiss made, as opposed to their 2nd generation counterparts, which were made in Germany. This 1st generation's lathing is very similar to the Signature and Signature Precision, and can could be argued that the Precision version is based on that 1st generation. Hope this helps !

cheers,

Rob

Posted on 6 years ago

I got stupid lucky to pick up a 90’s Pearl kit for $500 that came with a full set of signatures as well as a 16 sound formula crash. The drums are long gone but the cymbals are here to stay. The sound formula is fantastic, every bit the quality of the signatures.

Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks to all for the input. It's greatly appreciated!

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here