Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Paiste Giant Beat 24" Inch Question

Hi all.

I'm thinking of picking up a paiste giant beat 24" and I like wash and medium ping )if that even makes sense...I'm new to cymbal tech.

What is a good range of weight for what I like? I KNOW I don't want heavy "ping" and looking for a classic vintage wash w/crash and defined ride sounds w/decent bell.

I just had a drum shop tell me they have one weighing 3175.1468 grams and another who has one for something like 2850.

Those are big diffences..

Posted on 12 years ago

BUMP!!

Is this thing on? ...anyone...

tumbleweeds in this thread i tell yaCooked Egg

Posted on 12 years ago

Sometimes it takes a while to get responses here on this thread. It all depends on the odds of it being very interesting or it just may be a strange timing. It's really completely random. If you have not yet figured out this mystery, try searching on Youtube for Terry Keating. His channel is called Bonzoleum. He is not employed or endorsed by Paiste, and is not officially an expert by any proclamation. However, he knows Paiste very well and is very well knowledgeable of Giant Beats. Now - know that sometimes it takes him time to reply (contact him through messaging on Youtube with a Youtube ID) but he will eventually get back to you with very good info and is a real nice guy.

Don't overlook the 404 "Ride" models (20"). They are a favorite of his, and I would agree that that is very underrated ride cymbal. That one would have both a good ping and wash.

Best Blessings,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1kYw_q6BE&list=UUcQ6W4kknIU4SqXupJUCmYg&index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

I don't have a lot of experiance with the giant beats other than i played a couple in a store up in cleveland and i really liked the 24". I was very impressed with the shape and weight range(even though i don't know it it was nice and thin on the edges). It had a nice dark wash with good stick and strong bell.

I do, however, own a 24" zildjian in the 3200g weight that is very nice sounding and has lots of volume. I think the giant beat actually sounded better but i didn't get to do a side by side comparison. My vintage(early 60's) zildjian was about $150 cheaper than a new GB.

I have a friend with a 24" zildjian in the 2800g range that is just remarkable and sounds better than both of the other cymbals. Same stamp as mine.

I also owned at one time a medium late 70's 24 and sold it because the lighter 24 mentioned above just had more character. The medium, around 4200g, was nice but pretty much one dimentional.

What does all that mean? Not sure, pick the one you like best and fits the style of music/songs you plan on using it for.

Good luck, Gary.

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Patrick,. I don't have a Giant Beat 24" but I do have a black labled Paiste 2002 24" ride. I own 20" 22" and this 24" ride it's my ALL time Favorite ride cymbal. the bell's piercing and penetrating sound can spade and neuter cats from a 100 yards, and the ride sound is crystal clean, and the wash sound you can easily control from a whisper to a roar. don't know if this is of help to you?!

2 attachments
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

I would go for it. I bought a giant beat 24" and love it. I can't say anything bad about it. Hit me up with a pm and ill describe how to get one at guitar center for $275.

Ludwig Mod Orange May 1969
5x14 Supraphonic

Early 70s Ludwig Mod Orange
8x12 Concert Tom
10x14 Concert Tom
12x15 Concert Tom

50's Gretsch 10" x 14" marching snare. Refinished in clear lacquer. Tube lugs!
Posted on 12 years ago

You guys rock! Thanks so much. I am new to training my ear and learning about cymbals -weights, makes.

I'm probably going to pop on a Giant Beat 24.

THanks!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here