Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Paiste Formula 602 'Classic' or 'Modern Essentials' crash

Hi everyone

I’m currently using Paiste 2002 ‘vintage Black Label’ Medium crashes, sizes 20” & 22”.

I’ve been thinking of buying two new crashes. The same sizes (20, 22) but especially less heavy ones and are also less loud. I’ve tried the regular 2002 red label crashes in the shop but they are just too heavy for my taste, and for some reason they sound nothing like the black labels.

The Paiste Formula 602 series directly came to my mind.

I already have 3 cymbals of the 602 series that are part of my kit (8” splash (modern E.), 15” SE Hihat (classic) and 22” china (Modern E.)) and I’m very very pleased with them.

After listening to the Paiste sound files on their website and searching youtube for videos (most Memphis Drumshop videos), I filtered down to these 4 cymbals:

20” Paiste Formula 602 ‘Modern Essentials’ crash

22” Paiste Formula 602 ‘Modern Essentials’ crash

20” Paiste Formula 602 ‘Classic’ thin crash

22” Paiste Formula 602 ‘Classic’ thin crash

They all sound great, but I have a more positive feeling about the classic line. They sound more ‘clean and safe’ to my ear. But then again when I go back the Modern Esessentials I think: “Wow, nice character!”

What do you guys think when you see this list of cymbals? I really don’t know what to choose.

Problem: I live in Belgium and there aren’t any shops that have these cymbals in stock. I will have to buy online without listening in the real world… So I want to make the right choice.

Music style: classic rock, blues

Drum kit: Ludwig Legacy (3-ply maple/poplar/maple) 14”, 16”, 18”, 26”

Posted on 10 months ago

I have a set of black (B) and red label (R) Paiste 2002's (purchased in the late '70's-early 80's).

Crash: 18 (R); 20 (B).

Medium: 16" (B); 18" (R); 20 (R).

HH/Ride: 14" SE (B); 22 (B) [also have a China Type: 22" (B)]

My experience is that the Black and Red labels blend very well and I don't notice a 'label' difference between the variants outside of the weights. I like having a series of commonly weighted cymbals (i.e. mediums or crash lines) in different sizes for the more sublte pitch changes when moving between them, but then having the option of of a greater change when moving between weights and size differences. I don't have experience with larger size 22" crash/mediums - I never 'crash' my 22" ride and have found the pitch and sustain of the 20" size works well enough for me.

I would more likely lean to buying both cymbals from the same line/weight and rely on the size change for the difference in pitch/timbre. And since I'm spending your money, I would eventually work around to buying cymbals in the other line/weight as well.

Posted on 10 months ago
Action Another action Something else here